Hire a student with Work-Study
Applications for funding opens June 30 and closes July 21
Hiring a student staff member can be highly beneficial for your department, infusing the student perspective in your work. Work-Study can help make this happen by funding part-time student positions between September and March.
WHAT IS WORK-STUDY?
Work-Study allows on-campus units to acquire student help for departmental support and projects while providing students the opportunity to apply academic competencies and build skills. This program continues to support students with financial need (demonstrated by government aid, Metis Nation post-secondary funding, disability funding, or band sponsorship). Selected employers will be reimbursed up to a maximum of $1,700.00 per position at the end of the fiscal year. We are greatly interested in supporting the projects of staff across all faculties and departments on all University of Manitoba campuses! Apply to be a Work-Study Employer today!
WHAT DO OUR PREVIOUS EMPLOYERS LIKE BEST ABOUT WORK-STUDY?
- “Work-Study has allowed our office to complete the projects that we just never seem to have time for, including special projects that are important to our Dean at this time.”
- “We appreciate the diversity of the student’s educational background and the skill sets. They have always been eager to learn new skills and an asset to the office team.”
- “Student development and building relationships was great. It’s fantastic, as an administrative unit, to have the opportunity to work with the students who we provide our services to.”
- “It is a very good program, provides great opportunity for students, and work study office is very helpful, efficient, and supportive”
WHAT DO OUR STUDENTS SAY THEY LIKED BEST ABOUT THE PROGRAM?
- “Being a shy person, my work study position allowed me to improve my communication and networking skills. I met people I never would have otherwise and gained valuable skills that would be applicable in any workforce.”
- “I enjoyed working on campus in the field I’m interested in. It built valuable relationships and more engagement with my degree.”
- “I enjoy the Work-Study program overall since it allows me to develop new and current skills that are fundamental to the career that I would like to take on in the future. Moreover, I learn more about myself since I understand what type of work I do not like and what I enjoy, which usually takes years to figure out. I look forward to the next school year’s work-study program!”
HOW TO APPLY
For the upcoming Fall and Winter terms, student hiring commences early in September. Please refer to the Work-Study webpage for more information and further instructions. The employer application is now open, with new employer registration due Wednesday, July 19 at noon and applications due Friday, July 21st at noon.
By supporting experiential learning on-campus, you are helping students develop skills and competencies that will contribute to their future careers and overall success.
If you have any questions about the program, reach out to Ilianna Hoople, Work-Study Coordinator or Lindsey Hiebert, Career Consultant at work_study [at] umanitoba [dot] ca