2023 Distinguished Alumni Awards recipients revealed
Meet the honourees for the upcoming September celebration
UM graduates are known for making an impact both locally and around the world, and the recipients of the 2023 Distinguished Alumni Awards are no exception.
This year’s recipients were chosen from an impressive selection of grads who were nominated by their peers. On behalf of the 2023 Distinguished Alumni Awards Selection Panel chair, UM Chancellor Anne Mahon [BHECOL/87], and her fellow panelists including previous award and honorary degree recipients and Alumni Association Board of Directors representatives, the University of Manitoba is delighted to announce the recipients for 2023 are:
- Lifetime Achievement: Moses (Moe) B. Levy [BComm(Hons)/73, MBA/74] – A visionary in entrepreneurship education and a force in advancing human rights, Levy has helped develop innovative initiatives in education and culture throughout Israel and in Winnipeg, including in his prominent role during the creation of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
- Professional Achievement: 5468796 Architecture Inc. leadership team – The principals of 5468796 Architecture Inc. – Colin Neufeld [BEnvD/00, MArch/03], Johanna Hurme [BEnvD/99, MArch/02] and Sasa Radulovic [BEnvD/99, MArch/03] – garner acclaim not only for their paradigm-shifting projects and sustainable designs, but for their bold ideas supporting urban engagement.
- Academic Innovation: Tracie Afifi [BSc/99, MSc/03, PhD/09] – Named one of the Top 100 Most Powerful Women in Canada, this UM community health sciences professor created an innovative research program with global impact, aimed at preventing child abuse and neglect, fostering resilience, and improving mental health.
- Community Service: Howard Morry [BComm(Hons)/81, LLB/84] – He’s among Canada’s most respected legal advisors, community builders and philanthropists. Morry’s decades of advocacy includes helping to establish the Arab-Jewish Dialogue, encouraging positive relations and respect.
- Outstanding Young Alumni: Mihskakwan James Harper [BSc(ME)/17] – An emerging leader in clean energy, this engineering grad from Sturgeon Lake Cree Nation, on Treaty 8 territory, has brought his voice to the United Nations and his mentorship to Indigenous youth nationwide.
“The Distinguished Alumni Awards are a source of pride not only for the recipients, but for all grads and students alike,” says Tracy Bowman, Executive Director of Alumni Relations. “UM alumni are leaders and builders in every sector and industry imaginable, who consistently help to better social, cultural and economic conditions around the world, and this celebration honours their significant achievements.”
Be sure to save the date and be a part of recognizing these remarkable UM alumni! The 2023 Distinguished Alumni Awards Celebration of Excellence Gala presented by TD Insurance will take place the evening of Thursday, September 21 as part of Homecoming 2023 – tickets are on sale now. For more information about becoming a sponsor, please contact Roslyn Dally.
Nominations for the 2024 Distinguished Alumni Awards are now open. If you know an extraordinary UM alum who deserves to be showcased at the 2024 Distinguished Alumni Awards Celebration of Excellence, we want to hear from you! Visit our website for more information.