'As people mourned Friday at a memorial service for one of the victims of Ukrainian International Airlines Flight PS752, there was a note of hope with the announcement of a scholarship established in honour of Forough Khadem'
Be a mentor. Share advice online or over coffee.
Introducing the UM Café – University of Manitoba’s first online networking community
As a graduate of the University of Manitoba, you have valuable life and career advice to share. Whether it’s to enable career development experiences, provide learning “beyond the classroom”, or impart knowledge on the evolving labour market, you can have a positive impact within the UM community.
The UM Café is your online networking and mentoring platform. Powered by Ten Thousand Coffees, UM Café introduces students, alumni and industry partners to share knowledge and advice over an in-person or virtual coffee.
This online platform provides the flexibility to choose when, who, and how often you meet with your mentees from anywhere in the world.
Ten Thousand Coffees matches mentors and mentees based on career goals, interests and skills. This exclusive online network gives UM alumni the potential to share industry-specific knowledge, proven-advice, and build relationships that will shape the career and education aspirations of UM students.
HOW DO I JOIN?
It’s quick and easy. Sign-up HERE and build your profile.
HOW DOES UM CAFÉ WORK?
- Students and recent grads can search UM Café to find UM alumni in careers they’re curious about based on information in alumni profiles
- You’ll also receive monthly introductions to students, fellow alumni or other members of the UM community based on areas of mutual interest
- Either you or the student (or recent grad) can suggest a time to chat, in-person, over the phone or online to share your advice and experience
- Once you join, all introductions are sent directly to your preferred inbox. Schedule a time and get an invite directly to your email
JOIN THIS NETWORK TO:
- Help shape the career direction of students and young alumni by sharing your advice and experience
- Meet your future workforce and inform them on the knowledge, skills and attributes you value
- Develop your network to grow and inform your career direction
- Tap into the knowledge of peers locally and globally
- Build your network based on your industry and interests
- Keep you connected with the UM community
Unlike LinkedIn, Ten Thousand Coffees is all about meeting new people. There’s no level of connection required to message someone, and users can turn their discoverability on and off to avoid invitations when required.
The UM Café is currently open to UM alumni from I.H. Asper School of Business, Faculty of Engineering and the Faculty of Kinesiology & Recreation Management. We will be launching all remaining faculties over the coming months.
Shape the leaders of tomorrow. Join the UM Café today.
Recent Alumni Stories
Well-known Winnipeg architect and Faculty of Architecture alumnus, David Penner passed away on January 7, 2020.
Sidney Warhaft Memorial Lecture: ‘Calamities of Exposure: Shakespeare and the Natural History of Human Being’
The 43rd annual Sidney Warhaft Memorial Lecture will be given by Dr. Laurie Shannon, Franklyn Bliss Snyder Professor of English and Chair of the Department of English at Northwestern University.