As a hub for entrepreneurial spirit and innovation, the Asper School of Business is here to help with your holiday shopping. Support local and check out our selection of student- and alumni-led businesses this year.
Be a mentor. Share advice online or over coffee.
Introducing the UM Café – University of Manitoba’s first online networking community
As a graduate of the University of Manitoba, you have valuable life and career advice to share. Whether it’s to enable career development experiences, provide learning “beyond the classroom”, or impart knowledge on the evolving labour market, you can have a positive impact within the UM community.
The UM Café is your online networking and mentoring platform. Powered by Ten Thousand Coffees, UM Café introduces students, alumni and industry partners to share knowledge and advice over an in-person or virtual coffee.
This online platform provides the flexibility to choose when, who, and how often you meet with your mentees from anywhere in the world.
Ten Thousand Coffees matches mentors and mentees based on career goals, interests and skills. This exclusive online network gives UM alumni the potential to share industry-specific knowledge, proven-advice, and build relationships that will shape the career and education aspirations of UM students.
HOW DO I JOIN?
It’s quick and easy. Sign-up HERE and build your profile.
HOW DOES UM CAFÉ WORK?
- Students and recent grads can search UM Café to find UM alumni in careers they’re curious about based on information in alumni profiles
- You’ll also receive monthly introductions to students, fellow alumni or other members of the UM community based on areas of mutual interest
- Either you or the student (or recent grad) can suggest a time to chat, in-person, over the phone or online to share your advice and experience
- Once you join, all introductions are sent directly to your preferred inbox. Schedule a time and get an invite directly to your email
JOIN THIS NETWORK TO:
- Help shape the career direction of students and young alumni by sharing your advice and experience
- Meet your future workforce and inform them on the knowledge, skills and attributes you value
- Develop your network to grow and inform your career direction
- Tap into the knowledge of peers locally and globally
- Build your network based on your industry and interests
- Keep you connected with the UM community
Unlike LinkedIn, Ten Thousand Coffees is all about meeting new people. There’s no level of connection required to message someone, and users can turn their discoverability on and off to avoid invitations when required.
Shape the leaders of tomorrow. Join the UM Café today.
Notice Regarding Collection, Use, and Disclosure of Personal Information by the University
The University of Manitoba (UM) makes the Ten Thousand Coffees mentoring program available to you for your personal use on a voluntary basis. By clicking on the Café links, you will be leaving the UM website and going to the Ten Thousand Coffees website, which is partially hosted outside of Canada.
The UM does access the information stored on Ten Thousand Coffees site.
The UM may collect personal information of alumni for the purposes of its alumni program, which includes communication regarding other events and/or mentoring opportunities and statistical analysis. Your personal information will not be used or disclosed for other purposes, unless permitted by The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA). If you have any questions about the collection of your personal information, contact the Access & Privacy Office (tel. 204-474-9462), 233 Elizabeth Dafoe Library, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, R3T 2N2.
Recent Alumni Stories
The Jarislowsky Chair in Natural Systems Agriculture for Climate Solutions will lead a research program that will blend modern agricultural technology and natural processes
Dr. Waylon Hunt took an unusual path to co-founding and leading a lab-based business, Intrinsic Analytics.