Value of Volunteering!
The Volunteer Fair runs from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Wednesday, November 16
October 26, 2022 —
Are you looking for ways to give back to your community, meet friends who have similar interests and dig deeper into an area of interest? Volunteering is a great way to explore a variety of occupations, build your skills and learn more about the world of work.
- Volunteering can help you contribute to your community and connect with people who share common interests. For many, helping to build a better community is an important value.
- Volunteer experiences help people build competencies and increase their job readiness and employability. While volunteering, seek advice on which experiences and skills employers in that industry value, and consider this information when planning for the future.
- Volunteering helps you build connections to industry professionals and supports networking. Peers and professionals you meet might be wonderful role models or informal mentors. And these connections you build in this area may also help you bridge the path to your future employment.
How Do I Access Volunteer Opportunities?
- As part of Career Month this November, learn more about organizations who are wishing to recruit volunteers! Join us at the UM Volunteer Fair, hosted by Volunteer Manitoba, University of Manitoba Students’ Union (UMSU) and UM Career Services on Nov 17, 2022 from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Connect with a UM Career Consultant for support with building career-related experiences.
- Volunteer Manitoba has a free referral service where students receive help finding volunteer opportunities. Email info [at] volunteermanitoba [dot] ca to access this service.
- UM Explore Occupations Library describes types of positions, links to industry information, associations that may have volunteer posting boards, and listings of employers who you may also be able to volunteer with while in school.
- Consider getting involved with student groups and associations, as well as student clubs on campus.
- There are plenty of ways to volunteer with the UM community! Community opportunities are plentiful and can be used toward your co-curricular record (CCR). CCR is an official record of university approved and facilitated activities that support your development outside the classroom.
- Research a variety of volunteer posting boards and links to discover organizations who regularly recruit volunteers. There are many websites that post volunteer opportunities.
- Approach organizations/companies that you are interested in directly and inquire about volunteer opportunities.
For more information and support, contact Career Services at 204-474-9456 or visit 474 University Centre to make an appointment.