Spring Convocation – how to use the new platform
Spring Convocation 2021 is just around the corner from June 15-17. To help you navigate UM’s new virtual event platform, we’ve put together a few tips and tricks on how to make this Convocation memorable for you and everyone you invite.
On the day of your Convocation, visit umanitoba.ca/convocation where you will find a link to the virtual ceremonies. Click on yours to go directly to the online event. We recommend logging in 30 minutes prior to the scheduled ceremony start time so you have time to explore the platform, get familiar with how it works and participate in convocation activities. If your ceremony starts at 10 a.m., log in at 9:30 a.m.
- Once you log in, you’ll land in the event lobby. Think of this as the reception. From here, you can find links to anywhere you want to go in the event space. If you ever get lost, just come back to the lobby using the “back to lobby” button at the bottom left of the screen or the University of Manitoba logo at the top right.
- Start your Convocation experience by watching the “Welcome to Convocation” video. After that, start exploring using the navigation boxes at the bottom of the screen or the small menu at the top right of your window.
- To connect with your fellow attendees in real time, use the yellow chat button on the bottom right of the screen. Graduands can also find faculty-specific rooms within this chat box to connect with their classmates. To find someone, click on their name.
- The ceremony program can be found in the lobby. Look for the link on the blue banner or from the menu at the top of the page. The program contains a listing of all graduates, award winners and messages from UM’s president and chancellor.
- Next, hop into the virtual photo booth. Take a selfie, add stickers and a grad cap and then share the pic on social media. Don’t forget to tag the UM social media channels (@UManitoba and @UMStudent) and use #umanitoba2021.
- Visit the gallery to see the medal winners and teaching award recipients.
- There are kiosks to visit in Alumni Hall including,
- Alumni Relations where you can learn about the opportunities available to you as a new UM alum and hear messages of congratulations from your fellow alumni.
- The Frame Shop where you can purchase your UM degree frame.
- The Indigenous Student Centre where you can see a short video celebrating this year’s Indigenous grads who attended the virtual Indigenous graduation celebration on May 8, as well as watch the full celebration. Indigenous graduates can also sign up to receive an Indigenous graduation stole. Anyone visiting the booth will have the opportunity to learn about First Nations, Métis and Inuit grads and chat with an Indigenous Student Centre staff member and a current Indigenous student.
- Don’t forget to write a message of congratulations to your fellow graduates in the digital yearbook. You can also share your favourite photo or memory and look back on your time at UM. Download the yearbook to have as a keepsake after the event.
Of course, you can’t forget to attend your Convocation ceremony. When the ceremony is about to start, a banner will pop up on your screen telling you it’s time to head into the ceremony. Choose your faculty-specific ceremony for the official portion of the event to begin. Once the ceremony has started, you can pause it. Please note that you cannot start the ceremony before the posted time.
If you have trouble navigating any part of the convocation platform or have technical difficulties, the help desk is available via live chat to assist you.
Enjoy the day and congrats to all our grads!