UM Today UM Today University of Manitoba UM Today UM Today UM Today
News from
UM Today Network
A student walks alone on campus during the winter, heading towards a white brick building.

Feeling stressed? Student supports are available to help

There is support for you, right at this moment, regardless of your level of need

January 23, 2023 — 

How are you doing? That simple question can feel pretty loaded sometimes. Between the massive changes we’ve undergone as a society over the last few years and the day to day pressures of being a student, feeling increased levels of stress and anxiety is a normal response.

The good news is that there are ways to cope. Whether you are looking to add some tools to your self-care toolkit or need immediate help, we want you to know that there is support for you, right at this moment, regardless of your level of need. Please don’t hesitate to reach out and know there is someone out there who wants to help.

Crisis Supports

If you’re in distress and feel like you need to talk to someone urgently, please connect with one of these options:

On Campus
  • The SCC offers same-day, brief crisis and emergency services to students in very high distress Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. Call 204-474-8592 to discuss your situation or visit 474 UMSU University Centre.
Off Campus

Students needing emergency/crisis support outside of business hours are encouraged to use one of the 24/7 crisis services listed below:

Mental Health Services

If you’re looking for mental health support:

  • UM’s Student Counselling Centre (SCC) offers individual counselling, workshops and groups, depending on your level of need. The SCC has resumed in-person services and students are welcome to drop by the office to request support or ask questions. They will also continue to offer remote services for students who prefer to connect by video or telephone. All SCC services are confidential and free for students to access.  Call 204-474-8592 or visit 474 UMSU University Centre to connect. (Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm)
  • Student Services at Bannatyne Campus(SSBC) offers free, private, and confidential services if you are a student or resident of the Rady Faculty of Health Sciences. Services include individual counselling and mental health supports and referrals as needed. The office is now offering both in person and virtual appointments. Call 272-3190 or email BCSS [at] umanitoba [dot] ca to connect.
  • Students covered by UMSU’s Enhanced Care or Basic Care Health Plan have access to Console, a platform that lets you choose the level of mental health care that is best for you at any time.

If the ongoing pandemic is getting you down:

These are just a small sample of the resources available to you, at UM and in the community. You can also be connected with the Rainbow Resource Centre, Women’s Health Clinic, Men’s Resource Centre, support for problematic drug use, and many more resources, through the SCC.

Other Personal and Cultural Supports

Depending on what health or wellness service you’re looking for, UM has support available:

  • University Health Service has a clinic on each campus which offers patient-centered primary care. Book an appointment to see someone by calling 204-474-8411. UHS is also a great place to get a Covid vaccine.
  • UM’s Health and Wellness office, staffed by a registered psychiatric nurse, is where you can receive one-on-one support, as well as be connected with a lot of great information and opportunities.
  • Migizii Agamik – Bald Eagle Lodge is home to the Indigenous Student Centre advisors and Elders-in-Residence, and several student support providers spend dedicated time there each week. Indigenous students can receive support from the Indigenous Student Centre by contacting isc [at] umanitoba [dot] ca or 204-474-8850. For cultural support, there are weekly events including  Sharing Circles, Fireside Chats, and more. Appointments with the ISC Elders-in-Residence and  Student Counselling partners are also available by phone, video or in-person; please call the ISC to make an appointment. If you want to come by Migizii Agamik in person, they are located at 114 Sidney Smith St. on UM’s Fort Garry campus.
  • The International Centre can provide international students with help and support in all areas. To book an appointment with an International Student Advisor, call the front desk at 204-474-8501. Limited drop in appointments may also be available.
  • Spiritual Care and Multi-Faith Centre offers one-on-one supports, assisting students of all beliefs and worldviews. They connect students with resources and faith groups both on and off campus and offer a variety of programming related to spiritual wellness and cultural humility through inter-faith engagement. Contact or 204-474-8721 to connect.
  • Student Accessibility Services is available to provide supports for students with disabilities and to encourage academic success. If you require academic accommodations or accessibility supports, contact an accessibility coordinator directly by phone 204-474-7423 or email
  • The Sexual Violence Resource Centre (SVRC) is located at 537 UMSU University Centre.  If you are seeking information on sexual violence, or support regarding an experience of sexual violence, call 204-474-6562 or email
  • Recreation Services will help you stay active and keep moving, which is beneficial for mental health. A diverse catalogue of programs and services are being offered in-person at the Fort Garry and Bannatyne campuses. You can also checkout some great tips and online options on their Virtual health and fitness page.


, , , ,

© University of Manitoba • Winnipeg, Manitoba • Canada • R3T 2N2

Emergency: 204-474-9341