Register for Prep Week
Take advantage of online sessions to help you prepare for first year
We are excited to welcome all new Bisons to the University of Manitoba! Now that registration is out of the way, this is where the fun begins. If you are a new student, you’re invited to attend Prep Week, one of the UM Orientation events leading up to the beginning of the academic year. Attending Prep Week will provide you with the tools to kickstart the fall term through a series of online sessions.
From August 29 to August 31, you will meet some of the important people you will depend on for support as a UM student. Sessions and workshops will take place online, but you are also encouraged to come to campus to get your student ID and Winnipeg Transit U-Pass and take a campus tour.
Prep Week Sessions will be delivered virtually via Zoom. Here is a sample of what you can expect:
- Writing 1: Prepare to write academic essays by discussing example assignments and talking to experienced students about what they have learned about writing at the university.
- What I Wish I Knew: In this session students will hear from upper year students about their experiences at university, lessons they’ve learned, and what they wish they knew starting out. They will be sharing from their own personal experiences and offering a peer perspective so that new students can feel better prepared as they enter university.
- Responsibilities as a UM Student: As members of the University of Manitoba community, we all have the right to feel safe and accepted. We also have a responsibility to act with integrity, to be accountable, and to demonstrate respectful behaviour, online or in person.
- The First Six Weeks: Did you know that the first six weeks of university are crucial to your success? Research shows that many university students across the world drop out after six weeks. That’s why we’re sharing our guide to the first six weeks with you. It’s based on research but it’s full of practical tips that you can use right away. This session will give you an understanding of the challenges that students often face and how to prepare yourself to meet those challenges. You can do it!
- Self Care: Learn helpful techniques to be a successful student and take care of yourself!
- Student Smarter, Not Harder: Study skills need to be tailored to your specific courses and other commitments. There is no one-size fits all approach. That’s okay, though – we will teach you how to get started and share all of the awesome campus resources that are here to support you. Did you know your tuition fees have already paid for access to trained tutors? You will learn about tutoring services and more in this session.
We’re here to help you make the best of your first year! Stay updated with Prep Week to see registration details, the full schedule and any important announcements.