Need Academic English Support?
Enroll in Part-Time Academic English Courses
Adjusting to university study in Canada is both exciting and challenging. Reading academic texts, writing well-organized essays, participating in class discussions and giving dynamic presentations are a few challenges students face in their academic life. The new cultural landscape of university may leave you asking questions like: How do I do “small talk” here? How do I disagree politely? What does “gimme a break” mean?
The English Language Centre offers Part-Time Academic English Courses (PTAEC) to help English as an additional language students develop their skills and complete their degree studies.
Reasons to enroll in Part-Time English Courses:
- Convenient: Courses are delivered remotely and in-person at Fort Garry and Bannatyne campuses.
- Practical: Review, learn and practice skills and strategies that you can apply in your academic courses.
- Class size: 10-15 students per class provides lots of one-on-one interaction with your instructor and classmates.
- Interactive: All courses are live and facilitated by highly experienced English language experts.
- Affordable: Only $150 per 30-hour course, and $50 for a 10-hour course. This equals $5 an hour!
- 3 hours once per week for 10 weeks, with the exception of the NEW *Paraphrasing & Summarizing Skills course (2 hours once per week for 5 weeks).
- Fun: Meet other UM students and practice your English in a supportive environment!
Spring 2023 PTAEC courses begin the week of May 15, 2023. Enroll now to guarantee your spot in the course(s) you want. Visit our website for more information, course descriptions and course schedule