Make your Convocation a day to remember!
As we approach Fall Convocation ceremonies this year (October 17th -19th for the Fort Garry campus; October 26th for the Bannatyne campus), we are excited to celebrate another class of UM graduates walking the stage as we commemorate their success. Congratulations to all those who are graduating!
In anticipation of this once-in-a-lifetime moment, here are the top 10 ways to have a great convocation experience.
- Arrive on time. The Fort Garry ceremonies will be held in the Investors Group Athletic Centre (IGAC). Graduates should report to the James Daly Field House in the Max Bell Centre 60-90 minutes before their ceremony. View the Convocation Day Schedule.
- Plan ahead and take everything you will need with you. Bring your photo ID, so you are able to pick up your procession card, gown, hood, and mortarboard at the Gaspard table. We recommend leaving other valuables with a friend or family member.
- Look your best. Convocation is a formal occasion, meaning dress clothes are recommended even if under your gown and hood. Please avoid wearing corsages and boutonnieres, fraternity or sorority adornments, or flowers. Indigenous students can wear traditional Indigenous attire in addition to or in lieu of the other approved academic regalia (gowns, hoods, etc.). You can also pick up an Indigenous graduation scarf at the James Day Field House on the day of your ceremony.
- Know where to park. Complimentary parking is provided in the U Lot and Q Lot (as seen on the Parking Map) on the Fort Garry campus. Please note that complimentary parking for Fall Convocation will be available all day on October 17th, 18th, and 19th parking will be complimentary until 4:30 PM. Accessible parking will also be available in the P lot.
- Make any necessary arrangements for accessibility support. Everyone deserves to have a memorable experience! Contact Student Accessibility Services if you require assistance with seating, sign language interpretation, or other accessibility support.
- Take graduation photos! Have something to remember this day. Photographers will be present for individual and family photograph sessions before and after the ceremony. A photographer will also be capturing the moment you are handed your parchment.
- Visit the Alumni photo booths! You’re officially an alumni now! Stop by and capture all the moments at one of two digital photo booths in the Fieldhouse after the ceremony (we’ll send you links to the pics!). Use our photo backdrops to take your own, and chat with Alumni staff, Board and volunteers to find out all the cool perks and opportunities available to you as new UM alumni.
- Include family, friends and loved ones no matter how far away they are. We encourage graduates to invite guests, but we kindly ask that you limit your in-person guests to five people. Guests should enter the IGAC and take their seats before the ceremony begins. If you have a guest with mobility issues, they should talk to an usher at the door for seating accommodations. Those unable to attend in person are welcome to tune in virtually by accessing the immersive virtual platform and joining the live stream component.
- Share the experience on social media. Post your pictures and videos using #UManitoba2023 and tag @umanitoba and @umstudent in your Instagram stories for your fellow graduates and the UM community to see!
- Celebrate! Convocation Day is meant to honour you and your accomplishments while looking forward to the future ahead of you. Join up with family and friends in the James Daly Fieldhouse to enjoy one of the best memories of your lifetime at the ceremony after party. Hosted by the Alumni Association, the celebration will include a DJ, lots of fabulous photo ops, an audio booth to record your alumni advice for others, refreshments and more!