Live in a new country. Learn a new language. Work in a new culture.
Apply for funding a year abroad through the McCall McBain International Fellowship
University of Manitoba undergraduate students are invited to apply for the McCall McBain Foundation International Fellowship. This award provides up to $30,000 in funding to pursue a year abroad, departing in the summer of 2024. The application deadline is January 12, 2024.
The Fellowship, in partnership with the McCall McBain Foundation, was created in 2017 to provide students with the opportunity to learn a language, participate actively and respectfully in a new community, build lasting international ties and deepen their ability to work in a different cultural context. Fellows spend a year abroad divided into three terms dedicated to language learning, academic study and a work/internship experience.
To be eligible for the Fellowship, students must:
- be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;
- be between the ages of 19 and 24 (inclusive) on January 1, 2024;
- be enrolled full-time in an undergraduate university program at the University of Manitoba;
- have a minimum CGPA of 3.0;
- for degree programs of four or more years: have completed at least 3 academic terms prior to departure in summer 2024;
- for degree programs of fewer than four years: have completed at least 2 academic terms prior to departure in summer 2024;
- have not met the requirements to graduate prior to departure in summer 2024;
- be in good standing academically and non-academically; and
- have not left Canada to participate in a travel, work, volunteer, or study abroad experience independently (i.e., without parents) in a new language or culture for eight months or more during the last three years.
To learn more about this exciting opportunity and to find how to apply, join the upcoming information session. Be sure to plan ahead and ask your referee to provide their reference in advance so they have time to prepare.
Register for an information session (virtual):
- January 5, 2024 at 2:00pm Eastern Time
The applications close on January 12, 2024 and must be submitted via the McCall MacBain website.
If you have questions, contact Naomi Fujiwara, Student Exchange Coordinator at the University of Manitoba International Centre, Naomi [dot] Fujiwara [at] umanitoba [dot] ca
About the McCall MacBain Foundation
The McCall MacBain Foundation’s mission is to improve the welfare of humanity by providing scholarships and other educational opportunities that nurture transformational leadership, and by investing in evidence-based strategies to address climate change, preserve our natural environment and improve health outcomes.
The Foundation believes in the power of education, and scholarships in particular, to transform lives and in turn transform our communities to be fairer, healthier and more prosperous for all; that climate change is the single most pressing problem facing our planet and that we must all do our part to address it; and in the importance of an evidence-based approach to youth mental-health and well-being.
The Foundation has made significant investments in the leadership potential of young people, most notably through the McCall MacBain Scholarships at McGill, the Rhodes Scholarships, the Loran Awards and scholarships at several universities in Canada including McMaster University and Dalhousie University, as well as the Mandela Rhodes Scholarships based in South Africa and the Kupe Leadership Scholarships in New Zealand.