Not attending Convocation in person? Choose the virtual option!
Find out how to use the interactive virtual event platform
Spring Convocation 2022 is just around the corner, taking place from June 7-10 at the Fort Garry campus. While Convocation is happening in person for the first time since 2019, you can still attend the ceremony virtually if that works better for you and the people you want to share your day with. Here are a few tips and tricks to help you navigate the event platform when it launches next week.
Navigating the platform
On the day of your Convocation, visit umanitoba.ca/convocation where you’ll find a link to the virtual event platform. We highly recommend logging in 30 minutes prior to the scheduled ceremony start time. This will give you some time to explore the platform, get familiar with how it works, and access all the fun Convocation features and activities.
- Once you log in, you’ll land in the event lobby. Think of this as the reception hall. From here, you can find links to anywhere you’d like to go in the event space. If you ever get lost, just come back to the lobby by clicking the University of Manitoba logo at the top left of your window.
- Start by watching the “Welcome to Convocation Week” video. Look for the screen that says “Start Here.”
- Then, begin exploring by using the navigation boxes at the bottom of the screen or the small menu at the top right of your window.
- To connect with fellow attendees in real time, use the yellow chat button on the bottom right of the screen. To find someone, click on their name or type @theirname in the chat’s search bar.
- The ceremony program can be found on the poster board in the centre right of your screen. The program contains a list of all graduates, award winners, Honorary Degree recipients and messages from UM’s President and Chancellor.
- The live stream will change in real time before each ceremony so if you show up in the virtual space before or after your event, another ceremony or the President’s Installation may be streaming. If you want to replay a ceremony after the fact, all ceremonies will be archived on the UM website after Convocation week concludes.
- Above all, don’t worry about missing the start of the Convocation ceremony. When the ceremony is about to start, a banner will appear on the screen telling you it’s time to head to the main stage. Once the ceremony has started, you can pause it, but you cannot start the ceremony before the posted time.
Engaging with the content
Convocation’s virtual component isn’t just a live stream; it’s an interactive experience! Here are some of the things you can explore on the platform:
- Head to the virtual photo booth to take a selfie; add stickers and a graduation cap, then share the picture on social media. Don’t forget to tag the UM social media channels (@UManitoba and @UMStudent) and use #umanitoba2022.
- Visit the award gallery to see the medal winners and teaching award recipients.
- Get to know this year’s ten Honorary Degree recipients by reading their citations.
- Don’t forget to write a message of congratulations to your fellow graduates on the Kudoboard, a virtual message board where you can leave a quote, photo or memory and look back on your time at UM.
If you have trouble navigating any part of the virtual platform or experience any technical difficulties, ask a question in the live chat and we’ll be happy to assist you.
Congratulations to all of our graduates! Enjoy your day!