How to Use the Virtual Convocation Platform
Everything you need to know about navigating the platform and engaging with fun interactive features
Fall Convocation 2021 is just around the corner, taking place from October 18-21 and on November 10. Here are a few tips and tricks to help you navigate the virtual Convocation event platform and make this Convocation memorable for you and everyone you invite.
On the day of your Convocation, visit umanitoba.ca/convocation to find a link to the virtual ceremonies. Click on your ceremony and go directly to the online event. We highly recommend logging in 30 minutes prior to the scheduled ceremony start time; if your ceremony starts at 3 p.m., log in at 2:30 p.m. This will give you some time to explore the platform, get familiar with how it works, and access all the fun Convocation features and activities.
Navigating the platform
- Once you log in, you’ll land in the event lobby. Think of this as the reception hall. From here, you can find links to anywhere you’d like to go in the event space. If you ever get lost, just come back to the lobby by clicking the University of Manitoba logo at the top left of your window.
- Start by watching the “Welcome to Convocation” video.
- Then, begin exploring by using the navigation boxes at the bottom of the screen or the small menu at the top right of your window.
- To connect with fellow attendees in real time, use the yellow chat button on the bottom right of the screen. Graduands can also find faculty-specific breakout rooms within this chat box to connect with their classmates. To find someone, click on their name or type @theirname in the chat’s search bar.
- The ceremony program can be found on the navigation boxes at the bottom of the screen. The program contains a list of all graduates, award winners, Honorary Degree recipients and messages from UM’s President and Chancellor.
Engaging with the content
- Head to the virtual photo booth to take a selfie; add stickers and a graduation cap, then share the picture on social media. Don’t forget to tag the UM social media channels (@UManitoba and @UMStudent) and use #umanitoba2021.
- Visit the award gallery to see the medal winners and teaching award recipients.
- Stop by the Alumni Relations booth in the lobby where you can learn about the benefits and opportunities available to you as a new UM alum and hear messages of congratulations from your fellow alumni.
- Watch inspiring keynote speeches from this year’s Honorary Degree recipients Senator Patricia E. Bovey and Diana DeLaronde-Colombe.
- Don’t forget to write a message of congratulations to your fellow graduates in the digital yearbook! You can also share your favourite photo or memory and look back on your time at UM. Download the yearbook to have as a keepsake after the event.
Above all, don’t worry about missing the start of your Convocation ceremony. When the ceremony is about to start, a banner will appear on the screen telling you it’s time to head to the main stage. Once the ceremony has started, you can pause it, but you cannot start the ceremony before the posted time.
Please note that the ceremony format is not like a virtual meeting—each ceremony includes an opening segment that is pre-recorded and features graduate stories, remarks from the Chancellor and President, the Honorary Degree ceremony and keynote, conferral of the graduates and a slideshow procession with graduate names, photos and quotes. None of the attendees will be on camera during the Convocation ceremony, however, some faculties are hosting after-parties in Zoom breakout rooms and you’ll have the option to be on camera for those.
If you have trouble navigating any part of the virtual platform or experience any technical difficulties, the help desk is available via live chat to assist you.
Enjoy the day and congratulations to all of our graduates!