Waitlists and UM Email policy
As a UM student, you receive a UM student email account. Your student email account is yours to use and manage – but there are a few things you should know about your account and the policies that govern it. Review a few common questions and answers about student emails and how they relate to waitlists for course seats.
WHAT IS THE STUDENT EMAIL POLICY?
“Student Email Policy
Effective September 1, 2013, the university will only use your UM email account for all communications, including messages from your professors, department, advisors, and administrative offices.”
All official university email communications will only be sent to a student’s UM email account – generally, this includes any communication that could identify you as a UM student. This means that:
- Instructors and other staff will not have access to your personal email addresses.
- Instructors are encouraged to outline how email or other methods of electronic communication will be used in courses and their expectations of you in this regard in their course syllabi.
- Instructors and other staff might not open or respond to emails that you send from a personal email account.
Each year, students are prompted to accept (or re-accept) the usage agreement and change their password. You must do this annually to keep your account in good standing.
WHAT IS MY STUDENT EMAIL ADDRESS AND HOW DO I CLAIM IT?
The format of your email address is: “UMnetID [at] myumanitoba [dot] ca”. For example, if your UM Net ID is “Bisonb”, your student email login would be “Bisonb [at] myumanitoba [dot] ca”.
To claim your student email address, you will need to login to SignUM and follow the steps on the screen.
For assistance, please see IST’s step-by-step tutorial on claiming your UMNet ID and student email.
WHY DOES UM HAVE THIS POLICY IN PLACE?
Every year at UM, students miss emails with crucial information, including waitlist notifications, class cancellation notices, assignment deadline changes, notification of outstanding fee balances, de-registration notices, important policy and regulation changes, overdue library notifications, important date reminders, and much more.
Additionally, there are security reasons for using your UM email account. With the increase in online fraud and email phishing, this policy helps prevent the use of third-party emails (Gmail, Hotmail, etc.), which have more chances of being compromised.
HOW DOES THIS AFFECT STUDENTS?
- You must activate and use your UM email account.
- You are expected to be using your UM email account when you first register for courses. Some faculties may require this sooner.
- You are responsible for managing your inbox and checking for new mail regularly.
- You should review your course syllabi for information about electronic communication expectations for your classes.
Course Capacity – Maximum course seats.
Course Seats Taken – Seats that have been taken.
Course Seats Remaining – Seats open for registration.
Waitlist Capacity – Maximum waitlist capacity.
Waitlist Seats Taken – number of people on the waitlist.
Waitlist Seats remaining – Waitlist seats remaining.
HOW DO I CONFIRM MY POSITION ON THE WAITLIST?
You can view your waitlist position on your student detail schedule. To view your student detail schedule:
- Log in to Aurora.
- Select Enrolment & Academic Records.
- Select Registration and Exams.
- Select Student Detail Schedule to view your Waitlist position.
If it is your turn to register, your ‘Waitlist Position’ will be ‘0’ and will be accompanied by a ‘Notification Expires’ date and time; this is your deadline to register for the course.
WHAT DO I DO AFTER RECEIVING A WAITLIST NOTIFICATION?
Once you have received a notification email that space has become available for you to register, you will have 24 hours (unless otherwise stated) from when you receive the notification to register for the course.
If you miss the 24-hour registration period, you will be removed from the Waitlist; you may re-add yourself but you will be placed at the end of the list.
Visit our waitlist page for full instructions on how to register for the course after you have received notification.