UM’s Winter Welcome sets you up for success
What you need to know about Prep Days, Welcome Day and more!
Are you starting your UM experience this Winter Term? We want to help ensure that you start on your academic path with the tools you need to be successful. That’s why the UM First Year Centre offers Winter Welcome — online programming to welcome you to the University of Manitoba and equip you with the knowledge and skills needed to successfully transition to UM.
You’re smart, organized, and excited to learn, so let’s kick off the new year and new term together, with a couple of exciting online events to get you started. These are fantastic opportunities to become more familiar with your UM community, meet new people and explore your interests. Take advantage of campus services, clubs and communities for a variety of events happening on campus.
Prep Days (January 19-20)
Prep Days offers you the opportunity to meet up with your classmates and upper level students designed to introduce you to UM.
Check out the Prep Days schedule, and identify the sessions you want to register for. Here are some examples of what will be offered:
- Get tips for skills-based learning, including strategies to master online learning, time management, planning study sessions, working well in a group, academic writing, tutoring, and much more.
- Learn how you can have the best student experience, tips on staying active while studying, and introductions to various student communities where you can make connections and meet new friends.
- Find out more about the many student supports and services available to you, including spiritual health, sexual violence awareness, accessibility and more.
- Familiarize yourself with your faculty community at a faculty-led sessions.
This is your first year at UM! Make the most of it by taking part in opportunities that have been created just for you. Meet new people with common interests and get an advantage by becoming familiar with the expectations and resources available at your new school.
Taking place Friday, January 21, Winter Welcome provides you with the information you need to begin your university studies. You’ll start the day by being officially welcomed to UM by the President and others at the Welcome Ceremony. Then you’ll meet with your Welcome Day group to hear about what you can expect as you begin your first year of university studies. In the afternoon, connect with your faculty or get advice from students who were in your shoes last year.
- Participate in the Welcome Ceremony at 8:30 a.m. on January 21 for welcoming messages and tips from the UM President, Michael Benarroch, Student leaders and more.
- Connect with advisors and other students as they share tips and tricks for starting classes.
- Get help to develop your academic writing, time management, and study skills.
- Find out about support resources.
- Explore all that UM has to offer, both inside and outside the classroom.
Sessions start at 8:30 a.m. on January 21. To register and get access to Zoom links, visit the Winter Welcome page. We hope to see you there!
Stay in Touch
For everything you need to know as a first year student, visit UM Commons, an online hub where you can get connected to your classmates, participate in events, find a mentor and more. Plus, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram @umfirstyearcentre and @umstudent.