UM’s New Student Welcome sets you up for success
All about Prep Week, Welcome Day and more!
Congratulations, you’re about to start your first year at the University of Manitoba! Let’s kick off the school year together, with a couple of exciting online events. These will be great opportunities to learn the ropes, put some faces to names, and begin to build your community.
Welcome Day (September 7)
Join us on September 7 to celebrate the beginning of a new academic year virtually. You’ll start the day by being officially welcomed to UM by the President, Chancellor and others at the Welcome Ceremony. Then you’ll meet with your Welcome Day group to hear about what you can expect as you begin your first year of university studies. In the afternoon, connect with your faculties or gain advice from students who were in your shoes last year.
Prep Week (August 30-September 3)
Start your day by meeting up with your classmates and upper level students for a morning check in before you start your day.
Check out the Prep Week schedule, and identify the sessions you want to register for. Here are just some examples of what will be offered:
- Get tips for skills-based learning, including strategies to master online learning, time management, planning study sessions, working well in a group, academic writing, tutoring, and much more.
- Learn how you can have the best student experience, including a session with Bison Sports, tips on staying active while studying remotely, and introductions to various student communities where you can make connections and meet new friends.
- Find out more about the many student supports and services available to you, including spiritual health, sexual violence awareness, accessibility, and more.
- Get familiar with your faculty community at one of the faculty-led sessions.
- Attend special lectures from UM Professors, like one about the history of comics and Indigenous representation in the medium
This is your first year at UM! Make the most of it by taking part in opportunities that have been created just for you. Meet new people with common interests and get an advantage by becoming familiar with the expectations and resources available at your new school.
UM Commons: Live
If you are on campus Sept. 8, 9, 10, feel free to stop by UM Commons: Live in the Quad (look for our signs) and say “Hi!”. Students, faculty and staff from Student Affairs and other units will be on hand to answer questions, provide tours of campus and provide other helpful information.
Stay in Touch
For everything you need to know as a first year student, visit UM Commons, an online hub where you can get connected to your classmates, participate in events, find a mentor and more. Plus, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram @umfirstyearcentre and @umstudent.