UM Today UM Today University of Manitoba UM Today UM Today UM Today
News from
UM Today Network
Fort Garry campus in winter 2022.

Tax Information from the Registrar’s Office

February 19, 2024 — 

Tax season is almost here, and we want to share some important tax information and reminders to ensure a hassle-free tax season.

Tax forms

  • T2202A tuition tax credit, called a T2202 form, is issued to students and is used to claim the Tuition Tax Credit. This form is released annually, usually near the end of February, and is ONLY available online through Aurora. Questions regarding your T2202 should be addressed to the Registrar’s Office.
  • T4A A T4A slip reports income from many different sources. As a student, your T4A slip will report the scholarship or bursary income you received while you were enrolled at the University of Manitoba. Generally, you’ll only receive a T4A slip from the payer of these income sources if the total of the payments was more than $500 in the year or if income tax was deducted from the payments. Questions regarding a T4A slip should be addressed to the Financial Aid and Awards Office.

Social Insurance Numbers (SINs) and Taxes

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has mandated that the University of Manitoba collect the Social Insurance Numbers (SINs) of students. This information is required to produce your T2202 (Tuition and Enrolment Certificate), which is your Canadian tax form.

These tax changes have been in effect since the 2019 tax year, so if you are a returning student and have already added your SIN in Aurora, you do not have to add it again.

How to add your Social Insurance Number (SIN) in Aurora:

  1. Login to Aurora.
  2. Select ‘Personal Information’.
  3. Select ‘Verify my SIN’.

Please note, if you select the “No Social Insurance Number” option, you are indicating you do not have a valid SIN. All students who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents should have a valid SIN.

Updating your Social Insurance Number (SIN)

If your SIN is incorrect, or Aurora says you need to update your SIN, you must contact the Registrar’s Office or Extended Education to have it corrected. Do not send your SIN to us – instead, please contact us by phone, live chat, or email and we will assist you in updating your SIN securely through Aurora.

Tax Questions?

For general tax receipt questions, visit the Canadian Tax Forms page on the Registrar’s Office site.

For more information on the changes to the reporting of tuition, education, and textbooks, refer to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) website. Any in-depth questions regarding the use of tax receipts in the tax preparation process should be directed to CRA.

Tax guides are available from any CRA office or Canada Post Office. CRA also publishes a booklet called “Students & Income Tax” – Government form P105 (E).

, , , ,

© University of Manitoba • Winnipeg, Manitoba • Canada • R3T 2N2

Emergency: 204-474-9341