Promote your initiatives with the Grow Your Community Fund
Applications are open, apply by March 3, 2023
As a key strategy for advancing the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion at the University of Manitoba, Laurie Schnarr, Vice-Provost (Students) is pleased to introduce the new Grow Your Community Fund.
“UM is a place where equity, diversity and inclusion are integral to all that we do,” says Laurie Schnarr (Vice-Provost Students). “We know students strive to create meaningful connections while at university but sometimes there are barriers that are difficult to overcome. We hope that this fund will help to mitigate some of those barriers. It is also intended to support and enhance students’ connection with their communities by providing opportunities to plan and host events or activities that facilitate connection, belonging and inclusion.”
The Fund will provide one-time seed funding for students and grassroots student organizations to host small-scale events and activities for minoritized, marginalized or other under-represented groups in the Fall Term 2023 or Winter Term 2024.
Approximately $25,000 will be available for applications that meet the eligibility criteria, with $12,500 available in the Fall 2023 term and $12,500 in the Winter 2024 term.
Who Can Apply?
Registered UM undergraduate and graduate students who self-identify as members of minoritized, marginalized or other under-represented groups, as defined by the Anti-Racism Task Force and noted on the fund website, are eligible to apply.
Fall Term 2023:
- Applications open: Monday, February 13, 2023
- Application deadline: Friday, March 3, 2023 @ 11:59 p.m.
- Applicants notified by: Friday, March 24, 2023 for implementation in Fall 2023
- Funds available in September 2023
Winter Term 2024:
- Applications open: Monday, September 25, 2023
- Applications deadline: Friday, October 13, 2023
- Applicants notified by: Friday, November 3, 2023 for implementation in Winter 2024
- Funds available in January 2024
Project Eligibility Criteria:
Projects must meet the following criteria:
- Proposed by applicants who are currently registered as undergraduate or graduate students at the University of Manitoba who identify as members of minoritized, marginalized or other under-represented groups
- Organizers must have completed the Sexual Violence Awareness Course in UM Learn and commit to working in ways informed by anti-oppression, diversity and inclusion
- Events or activities that are intended to support community-building amongst members of minoritized, marginalized or other under-represented groups
- At least one applicant must be intending to register for the term in which the event or activity will be implemented
- The initiative is small in scale (<100 people) and will take place on a UM campus
Visit the Grow Your Community Fund webpage for more information.