UM Today UM Today University of Manitoba UM Today UM Today UM Today
News from
UM Today Network
A student walks in front of UMSU University Centre on a winter day

Important Deadlines and Tax Information from the Registrar’s Office

February 18, 2022 — 

With the end of February in sight, the Registrar’s Office wants to review the upcoming registration and fee deadlines. The end of February also means tax season is here and we want to share some important tax information and reminders to ensure your tax season is hassle-free.


Feb 28, 2022 – VW Date for Fall/Winter Term spanning courses *

Feb 28, 2022 – Last day to DROP Winter Term and Winter/Summer Term spanning courses without penalty

March 8, 2022 – Winter Term Fee Payment Deadline

April 25, 2022 – VW Date for Winter Term courses

* If you withdraw from a Fall/Winter Term spanning course before the VW date, you will receive a VW for the course, but you will not be charged the Winter Term portion of the fees.


Aurora now has classroom assignments for the Winter Term.

Courses in Winter Term are being delivered in several different formats. The delivery method is indicated in Aurora and on the class schedule as follows:

  • Courses marked RL (Remote Learning) are courses that are being delivered entirely remotely.
  • Courses marked DE (distance education) are courses that are being delivered entirely online.
  • Courses with rooms assigned will resume in person on Feb 28.
  • Courses marked TBA are courses that will be delivered in-person with the physical location to be announced before February 28.

Tax season tips


As many students know, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has made it mandatory for the University of Manitoba to collect the Social Insurance Numbers (SINs) of students. This information is required to produce your T2202 (Tuition and Enrolment Certificate), which is your Canadian tax form.

These tax changes have been in effect since the 2019 tax year, so if you are a returning student and have already added your SIN in Aurora, you do not have to add it again.

How to add your Social Insurance Number (SIN) in Aurora:

  1. Login to Aurora.
  2. Select ‘Personal Information’.
  3. Select ‘Verify my SIN’.

Please note, if you select the “No Social Insurance Number” option, you are indicating you do not have a valid SIN. All students who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents should have a valid SIN.

If your SIN is incorrect, or Aurora says you need to update your SIN, you must contact the Registrar’s Office or Extended Education to have it corrected. Do not send your SIN to us – instead, please contact us by phone, live chat, or email and we will assist you in updating your SIN securely through Aurora.

Tax Forms

A tuition tax credit, called a T2202 form, is issued to students and is used to claim the Tuition Tax Credit. This form is released annually, usually near the end of February, and is ONLY available online through Aurora.

Tax Questions?

For general tax receipt questions, visit the Canadian Tax Forms page on the Registrar’s Office site.

For more information on the changes to the reporting of tuition, education, and textbooks, refer to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) website. Any in-depth questions regarding the use of tax receipts in the tax preparation process should be directed to CRA.

Tax guides are available from any CRA office or Canada Post Office. CRA also publishes a booklet called “Students & Income Tax” – Government form P105 (E).

, , ,

© University of Manitoba • Winnipeg, Manitoba • Canada • R3T 2N2

Emergency: 204-474-9341