Get funding to hire a work-study student
Help students in financial need develop skills to support their career goals
The deadline to apply for the Work-Study Program is extended to July 5, 2019. Here’s 5 benefits to becoming a Work-Study employer:
- Student staff can boost and benefit your department and projects by infusing a student perspective.
- Join other campus units in supporting experiential learning which helps students apply their course-based learning and develop skills and competencies to support their future careers and overall success.
- On-campus jobs are in high-demand! This makes recruitment increasingly easy. Work-Study administrators also take a lead role in promoting your position and helping you hire the right student.
- You design, supervise and determine the flexibility of your position. Your department has unique needs and a particular ‘busy season’ – you determine the hours per week, days per week and weeks in the year for your position.
- Your department/unit will receive up to $1700 reimbursement to cover student hiring costs. This reimbursement is provided at the end of the fiscal year.
“The program was well designed and put together. I liked being able to offer a position to a student in financial need.” – Amy De Jaeger, The Centre for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning
Work-Study positions are part-time positions funded between September and March of each fiscal year. The program is run by Career Services and Financial Aid & Awards. The goal of the program is to support students with financial need and provide opportunities for students to develop strong transferable skills to support their career goals.
“Work-Study allowed us to explore new projects that feasibly we could not make time for. The students gave us ideas and inspiration for special projects that their strengths could further along.” – Kalynn Spain, Agriculture
If the reasons above made you consider submitting an application, make sure you note the following deadlines:
- New employer registration/sign-up deadline: Thursday, July 4 @ 11:59 PM
- Note: If you do not have an existing careerCONNECT account OR if you are not sure you have one, please get in touch with us.
- Work-Study position submission deadline: Friday, July 5 @ 12:00 PM (noon)
- For detailed instructions/steps on how to repost or post a new job, please visit the Work-Study Employer webpage.
“I really enjoy building relationships with the students. They all share different values and bring different insights and perspectives to the job.” – Jaclyn Angel, English Language Centre
Let us know if you have any further questions.
474 UMSU University Centre
wkstudy [at] umanitoba [dot] ca