What to know about construction this fall
Here are all of the details on the continuing road renewal program at Fort Garry campus, with road construction on Dafoe Road, and various upgrades to pedestrian crossings, multi-use pathways, sidewalks and landscaping.
PARKING LOT ACCESS
Access to Parking Lots ALC is now open, while J and H remain closed until late September. N Lot remains accessible, but via a detour at certain times.
Click to enlarge map.
Transit stops in front of the Agriculture buildings and 65 Dafoe Road (former School of Music) will be closed during construction, with temporary stops along Freedman Crescent and on Alumni Lane.
DAFOE ROAD AND FREEDMAN CRESCENT CONSTRUCTION
Construction will include full reconstruction of Dafoe Road from University Crescent to Gillson Street.
There will also be upgrades to underground utilities, and improvements to pedestrian and cycling amenities. Sidewalk upgrades, raised crossings and enhanced tree plantings, which include structural soil cells, which improve the quality and lifespan of street trees and help to mitigate storm water runoff.The reconstruction of Freedman Crescent east of the Drake Centre is complete.
SIDEWALK, MULTI-USE PATHWAY
Median and sidewalk work on University Crescent in front of the Active Living Centre will be completed soon, along with the multi-use pathway along Saunderson Street and Dysart Road.
ANTICIPATED TIMELINE AND OVERVIEW
See below for the anticipated timeline and overview. Exact schedules are subject to change; construction timelines are impacted both by weather and restrictions due to COVID-19 protocols.
The Fort Garry campus road renewal program started in 2018 and will span approximately five years.
- 2020 work (ongoing) includes the reconstruction of Dafoe Road from University Crescent to Gillson Street, and Freedman Crescent from Service Street 7s to the bus staging area.
- 2019 work reconstructed University Crescent from Chancellor Matheson Road to Dafoe Road.
- 2018 work included reconstruction of Freedman Crescent, beginning east of King’s Drive to Saunderson Street at Dysart Road just east of the Faculty of Law’s Robson Hall.
WHAT TO KNOW:
Barricades and safety signage will be clearly posted to safely direct pedestrians, cyclists and vehicles as required.
Caution should be taken at all times during construction to ensure everyone’s safety.
- Westbound traffic only on Dafoe Road between University Crescent and Service Street 3s.
- No access on Dafoe Road between Service Street 3s and MacLean Crescent.
- No eastbound traffic between 5pm and 7am on Dafoe Road between Gillson Street and MacLean Crescent. Access to N Lot via Alumni Lane only.
- Access to parking lots, buildings, intersections and lanes may be affected.
- Emergency vehicle access will be maintained.
- Pedestrian and bicycle traffic will be slightly impacted throughout construction.
- A – Dafoe Road: University Crescent to MacLean Crescent.
- Westbound traffic only from Service Street 3s to University Cres.
- Dafoe Road closed between Service Street 3s and MacLean Crescent (see map).
- Parking lot ALC is open.
- No access to parking lots J, and H;
- B – Dafoe Road: MacLean Crescent to Gillson Street.
- Lane reconfiguration in place; follow flaggers and signage.
- Westbound traffic only between 5pm and 7am.
- Parking lot N accessed via MacLean Crescent and Alumni Lane (after hours).
To stay informed about traffic impacts for vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists, visit the service disruption webpage.
For any questions, contact Vanessa Jukes, MALA, CSLA, PMP, project manager, Architectural & Engineering Services, Physical Plant, at Vanessa [dot] Jukes [at] umanitoba [dot] ca