Search for a Provost and Vice-President (Academic)
As announced this Fall, Dr. Janice Ristock, after an acclaimed three-decade career at the University of Manitoba in a variety of academic and administrative roles, is not seeking an extension or renewal of her term as Provost and Vice-President (Academic) when it ends in June, 2021.
With the end of Dr. Ristock’s term approaching, the University is moving forward with the process of finding her successor.
President and Vice-Chancellor, Dr. Michael Benarroch, is pleased to announce the membership of the advisory committee he has struck to advise on candidates for the role and on the position more generally.
Joining him on the committee are:
From the Board of Governors:
- Jeff Lieberman, Chair
- Catherine Cook, Vice-President (Indigenous)
- Laurie Schnarr, Vice-Provost (Students)
- Tina Chen, Distinguished Professor, Department of History, Faculty of Arts
- Derek Oliver, Professor and Associate Head, Department of Electrical Engineering, Price Faculty of Engineering and Director, Manitoba Institute for Materials
- Lalitha Raman-Wilms, Dean, College of Pharmacy
- Martin Scanlon, Dean, Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences
From the University of Manitoba Faculty Association:
- Michael Shaw, President of UMFA and Senior Instructor, Department of Biology, Faculty of Science
- Marcia Anderson, Executive Director, Indigenous Academic Affairs, Ongomiizwin Indigenous Institute of Health and Healing; Vice-Dean, Indigenous Health, and Associate Professor, Rady Faculty of Health Sciences
- Robert C. Mizzi, Canada Research Chair in Queer, Community, and Diversity Education; Associate Professor, Faculty of Education
From the Colleges:
- Christopher Adams, Rector, St. Paul’s College
From the University of Manitoba Graduate Students’ Association:
- Silvia Sekander, President
The University has retained Laverne Smith and Associates to assist the committee in conducting the search, led by Laverne Smith, President. As part of its work, in the coming weeks the committee will be reaching out to the community to solicit input on the ideal profile and candidate for a Provost and Vice-President (Academic), along with the opportunities, issues and challenges awaiting them.