Retiree email update
A message from Paul Kochan, VP (Administration)
sent to Retirees in February 2016
I would like to take this opportunity to provide you with more information about the retiree email.
Retiree email will apply to retired Academic and Support staff with the exception of those retirees holding either Emeritus or Senior Scholar appointments.
If you hold an Emeritus or Senior Scholar appointment, you are considered an active employee so you will keep your active employee email account. In the case of Emeritus, this is a lifetime appointment so you will permanently keep your active employee account. If you hold a Senior Scholar appointment, you will move to the retiree email once your appointment expires.
What is changing?
Retiree email will be offered through Office 365, similar to student email. You will have free access to the Exchange Online email and calendaring component of the Microsoft Office 365 suite of services, known at the University as Office 365 Email and Calendar, which provides you with:
- Email, calendaring, and directory services accessible via web browser, mobile or desktop applications
- A feature-rich Outlook Web App provides full desktop Outlook functionality
- Secure email storage
- All email filtered for spam, viruses, and other unwanted content
Once retiree email is in place:
- Your retiree email will be email@example.com.
- If you are a retired Academic, you will have email forwarding set up to your retiree email address so you can continue to receive email sent to your previous U of M email address.
- If you are a retired Support staff, forwarding will not be provided. Having retired Support staff continue to receive email related to University business puts the University at risk from a security, liability and compliance perspective.
Retiree email will be in place by March 28, 2016. We are still working through more specific implementation details however, we anticipate starting to move you onto retiree email in April. More specific details will be provided to you in March. Until then, please continue to use your current U of M email address.
We understand that this may be a significant change for you. A project team has been assigned to oversee the implementation and is working closely with key groups across the University to minimize impacts and to ensure that the necessary supports are in place.
For more information, please see the Frequently Asked Questions at http://www.umanitoba.ca/computing/ist/email/retiree_email_faqs.html.
I appreciate your patience and support as we move forward with this initiative. If you have additional questions, please contact the Service Desk at 204-474-8600 or servicedesk [at] umanitoba [dot] ca.