New University Centre food court coming
Construction has begun on a new food court in University Centre (UC). The reopening is scheduled for fall 2014, and will include new restaurant concepts and renovated eating areas.
July 2 marked the start of the renovations.
UC food court and restaurants will be completely redesigned as an open concept space, with seven new restaurants and new seating. The new digs will offer healthier food choices and international food options with focus on freshness and speed of service.
“Customer satisfaction was our first priority when creating the new concepts for University Centre. Speed of service, a greater variety in our food offerings and customizable menus will all be a part of the new dining experience,” says Aramark UM general manager, Dean Duff.
Some of the new options include: Asian, Shawarma, Grill, Pizza, Healthy Kitchen (wholesome, homemade-style food), a Salad station and a Flex-station, where local restaurants can act as a “pop-up” restaurant on campus for a period of time.
Aramark will continue to operate the food businesses. (Aramark was recently awarded a new 10-year contact. It’s been in UCentre for 30 years.) Food court staff will continue to be UM employees (U of M, Food Services). Ancillary Services, Food Services manages the contract.
What else will change? For you coffee addicts, a new Starbucks will open in the Bookstore, while the main floor Tim Horton’s will close. The Tim Horton’s on the second floor will be expanded to offer an express coffee line, the first on campus.
During construction, Subway and Get the Good Stuff will remain open, though food court tables and chairs will be moved to UC fireplace lounge. All other restaurants and table/chair area will be boarded off.
Andrea Edmunds, director of UM Ancillary Services, says, “The renovation is an exciting project that will address issues identified in last fall’s survey such as better flow, seating options, and more fresh, healthy and sustainable menu choices. This is a complete “refresh” that will demonstrate how innovative design can influence the feel of a space as well as customer satisfaction”.
Here’s an overview of university renovation plans:
Summer 2014: The first Starbucks on Bannatyne Campus will open this summer. Pita Pit, Tim Hortons and the grab and go will remain operational during construction.
Planned for fall 2014:
- The Campo food court in University Centre will receive a complete overhaul, featuring all new concepts which focus on culinary variety and speed of service. In addition to the concept changes, the seating area in Campo will be upgraded to a mixture of soft seating, new tables and improved lighting.
- Tim Hortons on the main floor of University Centre will join the second floor Tim Hortons location to create one location with two new express coffee lines, in addition to the existing full-service lines.
- The BookStore will be home to a new Starbucks in University Centre, located near the location of the original Tim Hortons on the main floor.
- The former Robin’s location in Fletcher Argue will be converted to the University of Manitoba’s first self-serve Tim Hortons.
- The Faculty of Science will receive a new Starbucks near the location of the former Food Services canteen in the Armes Complex.
- University College is scheduled to receive a completely redesigned location, featuring a Pizza Pizza and grab and go section of both hot and cold items.
More information on construction plans and concepts can be found here.