Upgraded New York Times subscription for UM community
Access newspaper archives through UM Libraries
UM students and staff can get full-text access to all news and photojournalism of The New York Times (NYT) through its webpage. The subscription to current NYT content through ProQuest will be available until March 2024 and the subscription to NYT historical content through ProQuest will be ongoing.
Set up your NYTimes.com account using the following steps:
- Go to accessnyt.com
- Type in “University of Manitoba”
- Click “Go” on the activation instructions page
- Create an NYTimes.com account or login to your existing account
- Authenticate with your UM email and password
- Indicate whether you are a student or staff
- You now have access to The New York Times!
The steps above are demonstrated in this video.
Note: If you already have your own personal The New York Times subscription, you will need to cancel that subscription first to take advantage of this new institutional access. For more details, contact library staff.
Special features in NYTimes.com
TimesMachine provides searchable and browsable page scans of every issue of NYT published between 1851 and 2002. Articles from 1851-1980 are also available as PDF downloads.
Visit Newsletters and discover more than 80 newsletters available on a daily or weekly basis. Find a subject relevant to your discipline or interests and get insights from The New York Times directly in your inbox.
NYT in Education
Access the education resource website which provides the following features:
- Discipline-specific areas of study
- Classroom discussion prompts
- Suggested learning outcomes
- General instructional strategies to promote student achievement
- Co-curricular activities, including events, discussions, and contests
Digitized collections at UM Libraries
Brown and Gold, UM’s annual yearbook (1914-1976), is available digitally. It is one of the few sources to document student life on campus, including clubs, societies, athletics, and more. It also lists and provides short biographies of graduating students.
Searching newspaper archives workshop
Register for Libraries workshops to learn more about searching newspaper archives available through UM Libraries.
Searching Newspaper Archives (in-person), Tuesday, October 3, 2023, 12:30 pm – 1:30 pm, Brown Lab, 110 Elizabeth Dafoe Library
Searching Newspaper Archives (online), Wednesday, October 18, 2023, 2:30 pm – 3:30 pm