UMSU University Centre reopens after fire
Some businesses remain closed after March 13 fire
UPDATE Saturday, Mar. 14, 4:30 p.m.
Recovery efforts related to Friday’s fire in University Centre are ongoing over the weekend. The scale of the impact and damage is extensive, but efforts are being made to return the building to operations in most areas as soon as possible.
A building and decorating company has been engaged to assist the University with stabilization and cleanup efforts. Further engineering and architectural resources will be engaged over coming days and weeks to fully assess and address the damage. Primary damage is due to substantial water applied to extinguish the blaze, and water travelled from the east side of the building to Campo and as far as the tunnel to Allen Building — and the smoke present in varying degrees through all five floors of the building and up to the Allen tunnel.
If you do not need to go to University Centre for a specific service or purpose, it is recommended that you avoid the area.
Businesses may be closed for assessment of conditions. Please check directly with departments for updates.
Please note that University Health Services (UHS) is working on setting up new clinic space for patients; see here for more information.
As a reminder, UHS has an on call service which can be reached at 204-474-8411 and is staffed 24 hours a day.
Also, Reider Insurance has relocated to the vacated space across the hall that formerly housed Crave Designs (hair stylists), and will be back in business effective Wednesday, Mar. 18.
The week of Mar. 16, the following conditions will exist across University Centre:
- Floors 4 and 5 will be fully operational.
- There will be limited access to floors 1, 2 and 3, and limited access to services. Tim’s will be closed on Monday.
- UMSU will close all UMSU-run businesses on floors 1 and 3 until further notice to assess damage.
Breakdown by floor
- 5th floor: Smoke odour in stair well, but otherwise offices will be fully operational on Monday morning.
- 4th floor: Smoke odour in stair well, but otherwise offices will be fully operational on Monday morning.
- 3rd floor: Minor smoke odour in corridor and in stairwell. Electrical does not appear to be impacted in this area.
- UMSU will close Degrees, IQs, The Hub, and the radio station until further notice to assess damage.
- 2nd floor: Significant smoke damage, with the exception of closed rooms.
- Tim Horton’s UCentre will be closed on Monday. EITC location will remain open.
- Offices on the west side of building will be fully operational on Monday morning, with slight smoke odour.
- East end of building saw significant damage. It will remain closed for the foreseeable future. See the floor plan of impacted areas.
- All business in the area will be relocated or closed: Print shop, medical clinic, dental offices, insurance office, etc.
- All UMSU businesses on the main floor will be closed until further notice to assess damage.
- UMSU offices will be open and operational on Monday morning.
There was minor or no damage to the following areas.
Please note that businesses may be closed on Monday for assessment of conditions. Please check directly with departments for updates.
- Marshall McLuhan sustained minor soot, to be cleaned by Monday morning.
- MPR minor soot present, to be cleaned by Monday morning.
- Offices on west end of building can reopen with minor smoke odour.
- Pharmacy okay.
- Bookstore fine.
- CAMPO fine.
University Centre hours
Starbucks Bookstore – 8am-5pm M-F
Tim Horton’s closed.
(Tim’s EITC open – 730am-5pm M-F)
Grill – 1030am-4pm M-F
Pizza – 1030am-4pm M-F
Wok – 1030am-3pm M-F
Chop &Top – 1030am-3pm M-F
Subway – 1030am-5pm M-F
All elevators up and running. Thyssenkrupp Co. inspected all elevators Friday afternoon and has verified operation with no issues.
Doors and windows
Doors and windows may be opened by occupants, but must be closed at the end of the day, or in the case of frigid temperatures. It is each department’s responsibility to ensure open doors and windows are monitored and closed as required. There is a significant risk of freezing pipes if left open all night. Security Services/CEP will monitor for compliance.
Departments are advised to keep doors closed to hallways to avoid excessive smoke odour.
Tunnels accessible to U Centre at 100 level, minor smoke odour.
To expect on Monday
- Floors 4 and 5 will be fully operational.
- There will be limited access to floors 1, 2 and 3, with limited access to services.
Staff and students are asked avoid University Centre on Monday unless needing to go for a specific service or purpose.
Any staff with concerns regarding minor smoke odour are asked to seek guidance from their Supervisor on actions to be taken. The Disruption in Access to Workplace guidance will apply.
Friday, Mar. 13
Today, at 12:50 p.m., a fire occurred on the east side of UMSU University Centre near the 5Days for the Homeless camp site. It has been fully extinguished by Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service. According to the fire chief, there were no reported injuries.
There has been damage to the building, including flooding of main floor due to water and sprinklers.
Currently the entire UMSU University Centre building is closed, and will remain closed until further notice. The building will be closed until at least Monday, March 16. We anticipate access will be allowed to the 4th and 5th floors on Mar 16 with some lingering smoke odour; and will be working with Ancillary Services and UMSU on the status of services on the 1st to 3rd floors. An update is expected on Mar 14.
Anyone requiring access to UMSU University Centre to retrieve their coats or keys or until the building is opened should coordinate their access through Security Services at 204-474-9312.
The Allen and Engineering tunnel access to UMSU University Centre is also closed.
Thanks for the thorough update! Much appreciated.