UM announces the ‘Ma these en 180 secondes’ competition!
Ma thèse en 180 secondes is a French-language communication contest launched by Acfas (Association francophone pour le savoir) in 2012, modeling the 3MT competition founded by The University of Queensland in 2008. Each challenger, in three minutes or less, must present a clear, concise explanation of their research project, in French.
“Manitoba being the second largest Francophone community outside Quebec, it was natural to bring that type of event here in Winnipeg” says Jean-Eric Ghia, Associate Professor of Immunology and internal Medicine at the Rady Faculty of Health Sciences and Honorary Consul of France in Winnipeg. “The objectives for the students are to convey in French the passion for their research while informing Francophone people in an accurate, creative way, to a very diverse audience.”
The Manitoba competition will take place at Université de Saint Boniface on April 6 at 6 p.m.
To be eligible to compete in the competition you must:
- Be a current student in Manitoba registered in a Doctoral or Master’s degree program (Master’s students are strongly encouraged to apply, however only Doctoral candidates will be eligible for the Canadian and International final competitions.)
- Be available to present at the national final on May 5 & 6 2020, if chosen as the winner of the local competition.
- Be available to present at the International final in late September 2020, if chosen as the winner of the National competition.
- Not have won jury or public prizes at a national competition for 3MT or Ma thésis en 180 secondes previously.
- Do your presentation in French.
How to Apply:
- Complete the application form.
- Create a 30 second video in which you introduce yourself, indicate your department and program, and briefly explain your research.
- Email the completed application form and video to deanfgs [at] umanitoba [dot] ca with the subject line “Ma these en 180 secondes”
Deadline to apply is March 9, 2020, however all applications received by March 2, 2020 will be entered in a draw to win a $50 U of M Bookstore Giftcard. Apply today!
Don’t miss this opportunity to share your research, showcase your communication skills in French, expand your network, and stand out!
To see past challengers click here. For more information about the competition, visit our website or contact jean-eric [dot] ghia [at] umanitoba [dot] ca