UM Today UM Today University of Manitoba UM Today UM Today UM Today
University of Manitoba administrative building.

U of M offers supports for students, staff and faculty affected by U.S. travel order

February 8, 2017 — 

The University of Manitoba is aware that the United States’ executive order to restrict access to those citizens from seven countries, including Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen is impacting our faculty, staff and students. The order has been suspended while the matter is before the courts, but has created uncertainty.

The U of M is happy to be home to students, faculty and staff from all backgrounds, countries and nationalities. We embrace our differences, and believe our community is stronger because of them, not in spite of them.

There are a number of supports in place available to help anyone affected by these travel restrictions: 

International Centre
541 UMSU University Centre, 204-474-8501

If you have questions or are looking for referrals related to immigration regulations, Study Permit Extensions and Temporary Resident Visa applications in light of the recent travel ban, the International Centre can help. Advisors can also provide you with support for international student orientation and transition, including help adjusting to life in Canada.

Workshops with a certified immigration consultant in collaboration with the International Centre will take place on:

Wednesday March 8, 2017 from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. – Study Permit Extension
Wednesday March 29, 2017 from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. – Post Graduation Work Permit

Location: Senate Chambers – EITC E3. Bring your Student ID.

More information will be available soon at:

Student Counselling Centre
Fort Garry Campus, 474 UMSU University Centre, 204-474-8592

Bannatyne Campus, S207 Medical Services Building, 204-474-8592

Students experiencing stress or emotional upset can access our Student Counselling Centre for support on both Fort Garry and Bannatyne campuses. Students who are in need of immediate support can access in-person urgent triage services at 474 UMSU University Centre.

Student Support Case Management
520 UMSU University Centre, 204-474-7423

Students who are experiencing personal, academic, or financial distress and need support due to the travel ban may contact the Student Support Case Management office to assist you in creating a wellness and support plan including identification of on- or off-campus resources. Plans may be developed to explore how to manage the practical and stressful details arising from the travel ban.

Financial Aid and Awards
422 UMSU University Centre, 204-474-9531

Emergency Loans – Undergraduate students may apply for temporary financial relief, in the form of a short-term, interest-free loan. Loan amounts vary depending on the situation, but typically range from $800-$1,200. These loans are due by March 31st, but alternate arrangements can be made if the student is returning to studies in the fall 2017 session.

Emergency Bursaries – Should undergraduate students encounter financial distress due to the recent travel ban, they may complete the emergency loan form and request a meeting with the Director of Financial Aid & Awards. Depending on the situation, a non-repayable award may be issued to them. Amounts vary, but will not exceed $1,200 (in accordance with the emergency loan criteria). Students must be enrolled full-time, and be able to show how the travel ban has contributed to their financial distress.

Graduate Students – Requests for both loans and bursaries for graduate students should be directed to Rowena Krentz at the Faculty of Graduate Studies at 204-474-9836.

Faculty of Graduate Studies
500 UMSU University Centre, 202-474-9377

The Faculty of Graduate Studies will consider waiving application fees for students who contact our staff with evidence in support of disruptions related to the travel ban prior to applying. This will be in place until March 1 (which is the last date for international applications to be received for September start).

In addition, a number of units/programs are considering delaying application deadlines to allow students affected by the travel ban to apply. Individual deadlines will be adjusted as needed. Contact the Faculty of Graduate Studies for current details.

Funds have been put in place to assist students who suffer financial losses as a result of the ban. Requests for both loans and bursaries for graduate students would be directed to Rowena Krentz at the Faculty of Graduate Studies at 204-474-9836.

Chaplains’ Association
102Y UMSU University Centre, 204-474-8721

Chaplaincy offices are staffed with spiritual care providers who are available on a drop-in or appointment basis to see students, faculty and staff. Offices are open for students to gather informally and find mutual peer support.

 Student Advocacy
520 UMSU University Centre, 204-474-7423

Student Advocacy is a centralized confidential service that supports students who are encountering challenges or have concerns or complaints. Students can visit Student Advocacy for information about student rights and responsibilities, to help map out options, and assist in resolution of issues, including Authorized Withdrawals, deferred exams and grade appeals.

Academic Advising
Academic Advisors are available in all faculties and in the University 1 First Year Centre.

Information about how to contact an academic advisor is available here.

Students are encouraged to discuss academic decisions with an advisor in their home faculty or in the University 1 First Year Centre. Students who are unsure about how the recent travel ban may impact this or any future terms, should meet with an advisor as soon as possible.

Career Services
474 UMSU University Centre, 204-474-9922

Students who are concerned about how the travel ban may affect their summer jobs or employment after graduation are encouraged to have their questions addressed during a Career Services drop-in: Mondays from 9:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m., Wednesdays from 1:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. or Thursdays from 9:00 a.m.- 11:30 a.m. Career Consultants will be available to provide coaching on how to speak with employers about complications regarding availability to work related to the travel ban. Students can also access career planning assistance by meeting with a consultant. 

Supports for faculty and staff

Employee and Family Assistance Program, 1-800-387-4765

The EFAP is available to all employees of the University of Manitoba and their family members, and offers a wide range of confidential services including counselling, wellness supports and financial and legal guidance.

Academics at Risk

Dr. Hal Wallbridge, C. Psych.

Harold [dot] wallbridge [at] umanitoba [dot] ca

161 Dafoe Building, 204-474-9222

Academics at Risk is a free service offered by Dr. Wallbridge at the Psychological Service Centre (Fort Garry campus) and is intended to provide easy access to faculty and staff members who wish to seek advice or consultation about mental health problems. Depending on the situation, short-term intervention may be available. Consultations are also available to managers or administrators who are seeking guidance about employees with mental health issues.

Employee Wellness


The Employee Wellness team can help employees and managers understand more fully their sick leave benefits, as well as navigate sick leaves, return to work plans and disability management.





© University of Manitoba • Winnipeg, Manitoba • Canada • R3T 2N2

Emergency: 204-474-9341