Student email outage Aug 21-24
After August 24 morning, students can use Microsoft 365 tools to collaborate with faculty
UM student email will be unavailable from Friday, August 21 at 4:30 p.m. to Monday, August 24 at 8:30 a.m. Email access will remain available for faculty, researchers and staff.
During the outage, students will be added to the same UM Microsoft environment as UM faculty, staff and researchers.**
This will enable students to use Microsoft Office 365 tools, such as Teams or OneDrive, to collaborate with all members of the UM community once complete.
Students will have the following experience:
- Email unavailable: Students will have no access to their UM email accounts after 4:30 p.m. on August 22 until 8:30 a.m. August 24. However, your Inbox will continue to receive email during the outage.
- Waitlist paused: Aurora Waitlist notifications will not be sent out during the outage. The Registrar will resume notifying waitlisted students about course availability once email access is restored.
- Access restored: Once the service is restored, your email will gradually reappear in your Inbox, starting with your most recent email, which will appear first, and followed by older messages over a few weeks. Waitlist notifications will appear in your new Inbox.
Remember to back up files from OneDrive and SharePoint
- Back up OneDrive: Files stored in current student UM OneDrive folders will not be moved to the new environment. To avoid losing your files, follow these instructions to download files from OneDrive to your computer. Students will have access to a new OneDrive folder after August 24.
- Back up SharePoint: Files stored in SharePoint will not be moved to the new environment. If you are storing important files in a SharePoint site, download them to your computer as a precaution.
Students will be able to access their email after 8:30 a.m. Monday August 24.
Please contact the IST Service Desk with any questions.
**Please note that email for alumni and students not currently registered for courses will not be migrated.