Search for a Vice-President (Research and International)
Message from Dr. Michael Benarroch, President and Vice-Chancellor
As announced earlier this year, Dr. Digvir S. Jayas will be concluding his term as Vice-President (Research and International) on June 30, 2022. Dr. Jayas, a highly-acclaimed researcher and leader, has served the University in this role since January 1, 2009. Dr. Jayas’ leadership contributions to the University of Manitoba span more than two decades and, after having served two full terms as Vice-President (Research and International), he agreed twice to further extend his term.
With the end of his term approaching, the University has launched a search for the next Vice-President (Research and International). I have formed a committee that I have asked to advise me on candidates for the role and on the position more generally. Joining me on the committee are:
From the Board of Governors:
- Dr. Nora Murdock
- Dr. Diane Hiebert-Murphy, Provost and Vice-President (Academic)
- Dr. Cary Miller, Associate Professor, Native Studies, Faculty of Arts and Associate Vice-President (Indigenous) for Research, Scholarship and Curriculum*
- Mike Emslie, Chief Financial Officer and Comptroller
From the Deans Council:
- Dr. Martin Scanlon, Dean of the Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences
- Dr. Brian Mark, Dean of the Faculty of Science
- Dr. Feiyue Wang, Tier 1 CRC in Arctic Environmental Chemistry and Professor, Environment and Geography, Clayton H. Riddell Faculty of Environment, Earth and Resources
- Dr. Jude Uzonna, Professor of Immunology, Professor of Medical Microbiology and Associate Dean (Research), Max Rady College of Medicine
- Dr. Adele Perry, Distinguished Professor of History, Faculty of Arts and Director, Centre for Human Rights Research
- Dr. Leisha Strachan, Professor and Associate Dean, Research and Graduate Studies, Faculty of Kinesiology and Recreation Management
From the Vice-President (Research and International) Portfolio
- Dr. Darren Fast, Director, Partnerships and Innovation
From the University of Manitoba Graduate Students’ Association
- Silvia Sekander, President
I have retained Laverne Smith & Associates to assist with this search, which will include a process of consultation including a request for input from our UM community. Your input is being requested by the close of business Nov. 1, 2021. Please click here to complete a brief questionnaire to be returned directly to Laverne Smith & Associates. Your responses will be held in strict confidence by the consultant and the inclusion of your name is optional.
The input to be gathered through this process will be used to inform the position profile that will be used to describe the role and expectations to candidates, as well as candidates to consider. The University of Manitoba is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community and especially welcomes candidates identifying as a member of one or more equity-seeking groups, including but not limited to women, racialized persons, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual and gender identities, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
Thank you for your contributions to this important leadership appointment.
*effective Nov. 1, 2021