Now you can recycle masks and other personal protective equipment
Are you looking for a place to recycle that pile of disposable masks you’ve been collecting?
UM now has Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) recycling collection bins at both Fort Garry and Bannatyne campuses.
For over a year, masks have become a societal norm — but the world was not ready for the environmental impacts of this shift, and it’s led to massive amounts of additional waste generated around the world every day.
To help combat the problem, UM has worked with TerraCycle, a global leader in collecting and repurposing hard-to-recycle waste that operates in over 20 countries. UM already works with the company to recycle used office supplies, with two drop-off locations at both Fort Garry and Bannatyne campuses.
TerraCycle can collect PPE, and recycle them by turning them into new items and materials, such as plastic lumber, metal sheeting containers and wood composite.
Once a year a Certificate of Destruction will be received, outlining the total number of shipments, and the total weight of recycled materials that UM has sent.
Disposable PPE and items only
These bins accept all non-woven, disposable, plastic-based masks including 3-ply surgical, dust masks, KN95, and N95 masks in addition to other disposable PPE items that cannot or should not be worn anymore.
Please note that these bins are ONLY for disposable PPE shown on the bin signage and are not intended to collect reusable, cloth masks.
Please do not take your mask off inside to dispose of into these bins. The bins should be used to discard collections of used disposable masks that cannot and should not be worn anymore.
To help mitigate this issue of PPE waste, it is recommended that a 3-ply reusable mask is used wherever possible.
- Physical Plant | Trades area
- Engineering | Atrium
- Plant Science/Agriculture | Atrium
- Parker | Level 200 North Atrium
- Machray Atrium
- University Centre | near Bookstore/Pharmacy
- Duff Roblin | North Entrance
- Ellice |Main Entrance
- Richardson | Main Entrance
- Helen Glass | South Entrance/Atrium
- Security Services
- Brodie Atrium, 727 McDermott Entrance.
- BMSB 100 Level | Exit to HSC Pedway
- 771 McDermott | Medical Rehabilitation Building, Entrance between 000 and 100 levels
- 750 McDermott | Apotex Building near entrance
- 780 Bannatyne, Dentistry – 100 level | Clinic waiting room lobby
- 715 McDermott –|JBRC Building – 100 level at triplex elevator lobby.
- Security Services