New Faculty Member, Dr. Martha Koch
Adding it up: Understanding assessment in mathematics classrooms
Dr. Martha Koch was welcomed to the Faculty of Education, University of Manitoba in the role of Assistant Professor in the Department of Curriculum, Teaching and Learning (CTL) in July 2013.
Dr. Koch specializes in mathematics education and assessment. She has been a classroom teacher, researcher and teacher educator in Ontario for many years. After receiving her PhD from the University of Ottawa (Ontario, Canada), Dr. Koch completed a SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowship at the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (Toronto, Canada). Her move to the University of Manitoba allows her the opportunity to become familiar with a new educational context and to support teacher candidates and graduate students as they develop more nuanced understandings of mathematics education and assessment.
Through her research, Dr. Koch hopes to contribute to a better understanding of how educators gather information about teaching and learning, and how they use that information to guide their practice. She explains, “In addressing this goal, I focus mostly on the study of classroom assessment and the ways it contributes to teaching and learning in inquiry-based mathematics classrooms. I view assessment as an inquiry process where educators gather, evaluate and use various kinds of information as the basis for their inferences, decisions and actions.”
Currently, Dr. Koch is studying how mathematics teachers develop professional judgement and make assessment decisions to support their students’ learning. In another project, she is collaborating with other mathematics education researchers to re-conceptualize the kindergarten to Grade 12 mathematics curriculum as a dynamic, web-enabled resource that can enhance mathematics teaching and learning.
At the Faculty of Education Dr. Koch teaches:
• EDUA 5800 Introduction to Educational Research
• EDUB 1050 Early Years Curriculum & Instruction in Mathematics 1
• EDUB 2050 Early Years Curriculum & Instruction in Mathematics 2
• Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Teaching, Learning & Evaluation at University of Ottawa (Ottawa, Canada) (2010)
• Master of Arts (MA) in Education, Measurement & Evaluation at the University of Ottawa, (Ottawa, Canada) (1994)
• Bachelor of Education (BEd) at Queen’s University (Kingston, Canada) (1986)
• Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Psychology at Queen’s University (Kingston, Canada) (1986)
For more information on Dr. Martha Koch’s work, visit www.marthakoch.ca