Help create a better planet
Sustainability engagement and opportunities on UM campuses
April 12, 2023 —
Since the formation of the UM Sustainability Committee and the Office of Sustainability in 2013, UM has been engaging the campus community in projects and initiatives to reduce our impact on the planet. Student, staff and faculty engagement has been building over time — our campus community cares and is taking action for a better planet.
At UM, there are bountiful ways you can make a difference no matter your role.
Here are a few ways the UM community is showing up to support climate action and sustainability practices — and some ways you can get involved!
- Subscribe to the Sustainability Newsletter, which has had a 127% increase in subscribers since 2018.
- Follow us on social media: Since 2018, the Office of Sustainability social media following has increased by 46% for Twitter, which currently sits at 1,829 followers; and has more than doubled its Instagram followers at 2,152.
- Green your office with our Green Office Checklist — part of UM’s Green Office Program.
- Learn more about the over 40 Sustainability Ambassadors on our campuses — volunteer undergraduate and graduate students who help grow a culture of sustainability at UM through education, research and action.
- Look into active student groups on campus that work on social, environmental or economic sustainability issues or sustainable development. Many offer volunteer or membership opportunities.
- Green Office Representatives (GOReps) from 37 departments lead sustainability initiatives and events within their departments and act as liaisons for their areas, working closely with the UM’s Office of Sustainability. To sign up, email sustainability [at] umanitoba [dot] ca
- Have a a waste reduction and prevention idea? We want to hear from you.
- Green your event: Green Event certifications (in-person and virtual) help integrate sustainability and climate friendly solutions to the event-planning process — available to departments and student groups.
- Carpool: GoManitoba offers a free online carpool matching platform for UM community members. Currently, there are 346 UM members.
- Check out the Climate Anxiety and Wellbeing Resource Guide and Office Plant Guide, resources UM students helped to create.