UM Today UM Today University of Manitoba UM Today UM Today UM Today
News from
UM Today
UM Today Network

Employees can use premium payments for Healthcare Spending Account reimbursement

Check work mailbox for statement and more information

April 22, 2016 — 

By the beginning of May, all faculty and staff eligible for Group Insurance Benefits will receive a paper statement  outlining premium payments employees made under their health plan from October 1, 2015 to March 31, 2016.

These paid premiums can be claimed by employees under the Healthcare Spending Account (HCSA) for 100% reimbursement if employees have not exceeded their limit. HCSA limits are $725 per year for full-time faculty and staff and $510 for part-time faculty and staff.

Employees who make a claim for reimbursement must submit a copy of the statement along with a claim form to Great West Life no later than June 15. If either document is missing, reimbursement will be denied.

Any unreimbursed amount from the Health Care Spending Account may be eligible to be claimed under the medical expense tax credit on an individual’s annual income tax return.

For a small group of employees, those who have been on an unpaid leave of absence from October 1, 2015 to March 31, 2016, a separate dental statement for premiums paid will be provided. The same dates and processes apply.

Claim forms can be obtained from the Compensation and Benefits website.

Any questions can be directed to the Compensation and Benefits office, SB-GROUP-INSURANCE [at] lists [dot] umanitoba [dot] ca or (204) 474-7428.

, , ,

© University of Manitoba • Winnipeg, Manitoba • Canada • R3T 2N2

Emergency: 204-474-9341