Copyright changes: Action required
Copyright changes have come to our campus.
The University is obligated to exercise due diligence regarding copyright. A requirement of the Copyright Strategy is posting of a notice highlighting the Fair Dealing Guidelines in addition to a poster about Copyright Solutions, a new service provided by the Copyright Office. Posters have been provided for each department and faculty/unit.
*NOTE: The “Check Before You Copy” poster must remain in place indefinitely
- Affix the new posters in immediate proximity to:
- public photocopiers, printers and scanners (including student computer rooms/labs)
- office photocopiers, printers and scanners
- Discard all older copyright posters in your area
Website banners and buttons have been prepared and all units are encouraged to add the “Copyright Services” banner to their home page, as well as the “Copyright Solutions” button. Both of these should link here: http://umanitoba.ca/admin/vp_admin/ofp/copyright/5719.html. These should remain in permanent rotation. A permanent link could also be added to units’ homepage.
Units are asked to confirm when posters will be displayed and when banner and/or button will be featured on unit’s website. Tracking this information is an important part of the University’s due diligence program.
As of January 2016, the U of M will no longer have a licence with Access Copyright, a licensing collective which represents Canadian publishers and authors.
A range of supports are available.
For the whole U of M community, three Q & A drop-in sessions will be offered to answer copyright questions:
- Tuesday, January 12, 2016, 12 to 1 p.m. at Elizabeth Dafoe Library
- Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 12 to 1 p.m. at Sciences and Technology Library
- Thursday, February 11, 2016, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Neil John Maclean Health Sciences Library