Board of Governor nominations for support staff positions
Deadline for nominations is noon on April 30
Nominations are being sought for a Support Staff Assessor and an Alternate Assessor on the Board of Governors, each for a two-year term commencing on June 1, 2021 and ending on May 31, 2023.
The position of Support Staff Assessor was created to enable the Board of Governors to benefit from a support staff perspective during its meetings. The Assessor attends meetings of the Board and its Executive Committee, and has the same rights and obligations as a member of the Board and the Executive Committee, except that an Assessor may not make or amend motions, or vote.
Duties to the Board include:
- providing a general support staff perspective on matters brought before the Board
- attending and contributing to debate at Board and Executive Committee meetings
- participating as a member of ad hoc committees that specify support staff membership
- reviewing agenda materials and preparing questions/comments, where appropriate
- representing support staff at Board and University functions, such as convocation Duties to Support Staff include:
- referring specific matters to the appropriate unit or officer in the University
- explaining the role, composition and operation of the Board of Governors
All full-time support staff are eligible to be elected and to vote, providing their names are on the employee list printed approximately 45 days prior to the election, which will be held on the third Friday in May.
The Nomination Form is here in an electronic, form-fillable version. It is also available at:
The Nomination Form must be signed by 5 support staff members and by the nominee to signify his/her acceptance of the nomination.
To be eligible, the form must be returned to the Office of the University Secretary by emailing (Laura [dot] Orsak [at] umanitoba [dot] ca) by 12:00 noon on April 30.
Timeframe for consideration
The time frame for consideration of the nominations and ballots is as follows:
April 16, 2021 Memo and nomination forms to be sent to all eligible support staff members
April 30, 2021 Nominations to be received no later than 12:00 noon
May 7, 2021 Electronic ballots to be provided to all eligible support staff members
May 21, 2021 Ballots to be submitted no later than 12:00 noon
May 25, 2021 Ballots counted, confirmed and results announced
The Assessor will be the nominee who receives the highest number of votes. The Alternate Assessor will be the nominee who receives the second highest number of votes.
For additional information regarding the Board of Governors, the role of the Support Staff Assessor, and for the electronic copy of the Nomination Form, please see:
For any questions, you may contact the University Secretary Jeff [dot] Leclerc [at] umanitoba [dot] ca or at 204-474-6167