U of M alumni and faculty announced as newest Members of the Order of Canada
July 2, 2015 —
The University of Manitoba would like to congratulate the following alumni and faculty whose appointments as Members of the Order of Canada were announced on July 1st, 2015.
- Dr. Aubie Angel (B.Sc.(Med.)/59, M.D./59) for his contributions to endocrinology and to the establishment of health organizations in Canada.
- Dr. Bruce D. Campbell (B.S.A./58, LL.D./07) for his entrepreneurship in agribusiness and for his generous support of innovation and education in Canada’s agriculture industry.
- Mr. Wayne S. W. Chiu (B.Sc.(M.E.)/80) for his contributions as a corporate leader and as a champion of innovation and social entrepreneurship in western Canada.
- Dr. Leah A. Hollins (Cert.Nurs.(P.H.)/66, LL.D./14) for her contributions to health care in British Columbia as a public servant, and for her efforts to improve organ donation in Canada.
- Ms. H. Susan Lewis (B.A./69) for her commitment to the well-being of her community as a leader of social innovation and as the head of the United Way of Winnipeg.
- Mrs. Sandra G. Scarth (B.A./56, B.S.W./57) for her commitment to children and youth, and for her work on adoption and adoption counselling.
- Dr. E. Leigh Syms (BA/1967, MA/1969, Adjunct Professor, Anthropology) for his contributions to preserving Aboriginal artifacts and for his efforts to advance public awareness of archeology in Manitoba.
- Dr. Martin J. Yaffe (B.Sc.(Hons.)/71, M.SC./73) for his groundbreaking research in breast cancer screening and for his commitment to improving women’s health.
- Dr. Phyllis N. Yaffe (B.A./69, LL.D./13) for her leadership in Canada’s cultural industry, as well as for her community service, notably as the founding chair of Women Against Multiple Sclerosis.
The Order of Canada, one of our country’s highest civilian honours, was established in 1967 to recognize outstanding achievement, dedication to the community and service to the nation. Over the last 45 years, more than 6 000 people from all sectors of society have been invested into the Order.
Recipients will be invited to accept their insignia at a ceremony to be held at a later date.