5 Days for the Homeless
Seven University of Manitoba students trade their beds for the snow, sleeping outside for five nights as part of the national 5 Days for the Homeless campaign, raising funds and awareness for underprivileged Winnipeggers by supporting Resource Assistance for Youth (RaY).
The participants – or Sleepers – will spend their nights in a shelter on the east side of UMSU University Centre on the U of M’s Fort Garry campus from March 10 to 15. The students will maintain their academic commitments, but will not be able to shower or carry any cash or identification, eating only food that has been donated to them.
Several events have been planned to help the campaign support RaY:
- Sunday, March 10, 2019 – 12:00pm (noon)
- Drake Centre, 181 Freedman Crescent
Fivehole for Five Days Street Hockey Tournament
- Sunday, March 10, 2019 – 1:00 pm (immediately following the end of opening ceremonies)
- ACE & AC Parking Lots at the University of Manitoba’s Fort Garry Campus
Five Acts for the Homeless Social
- Thursday, March 14, 2019 – doors open 8pm
- The St. Norbert Hotel, 3540 Pembina Hwy
- Friday, March 15, 2019 – 11:00 am
- Asper School of Business, 181 Freedman Crescent