10 Tips to make the most of your Convocation experience
It’s an incredible moment, walking across that stage after years of hard work to receive your parchment in front of family, friends and fellow students. This year’s Spring 2015 Convocation ceremonies will be held May 26th to the 28th.
To help you and your guests prepare for the big day, we’ve put together a list of tips for navigating Convocation.
- Know your times: There are six different Convocation ceremonies between May 26th and 28th. Check the list to find out the date and time of your ceremony.
- Plan your parking: The ceremonies are held at the Investor’s Group Athletic Centre on our Fort Garry Campus. There will be signs on the day of the events, but it always helps to plan your route and parking options ahead of time. Check the map and directions for info.
- Find your place: For graduates, report to the Max Bell Field House 1.5 to 2 hours prior. This will ensure you have time to register, pick up your cap and gown, review your name pronunciation and take photos.
- Arrive early: For attendees, the doors are open one hour prior to the event. Since photos can only be taken from your seat, plan a little extra time to ensure you get close.
- Get comfortable: Convocation ceremonies typically last over two hours. Due to fire regulations, baby strollers cannot be accommodated in the aisles of IGAC. Babies and toddlers will need to be held during the ceremony.
- Capture the memories: A special day needs a special way to commemorate it. We offer several keepsake and gift options including family portraits, convocation photographs, class rings, flowers and U of M gear.
- Get social: Share photos, post your congratulations and follow the excitement on social media with hashtag #umconvocation.
- Frame that degree: You earned it, now celebrate it! Plan to get it done right at the ceremonies with our degree framing service.
- Connect with your Alumni Network: Congratulations! You are officially an alumnus of the University of Manitoba! Update your contact information to stay connected to news, events and special benefits for grads.
- Have fun!
Read our full FAQs on attending Convocation here.
For more information on Graduation and Convocation at the U of M, visit our website.