Students thank donors on National Philanthropy Day
National Philanthropy Day is celebrated internationally every year on Nov. 15 and recognizes the impact of donors and others on our community.
This National Philanthropy Day, UM students are sharing a message of gratitude to all UM donors for the transformative impact they have had on the University of Manitoba community through the Front and Centre campaign.
The support of alumni, students, faculty, retirees, and other friends of UM has enabled many to pursue a university education and enjoy an outstanding experience at UM. Since the beginning of the campaign, donors have funded 629 new scholarships and bursaries, contributed to new programs such as the Qualico Bridge to Success Program, and improved students’ learning environment through building upgrades (44 facilities) and construction (five new buildings) across our two campuses.
Among the new scholarships and bursaries:
- The Asper Foundation Entrance Bursary, the first of its kind at UM
- The Hartley T. Richardson Student Support Fund
- The Pauline and Roger Presland Bursaries in Aboriginal Business Education
- The Schwartz/Reisman Scholars Program for students in the I.H. Asper School of Business and the Faculty of Law
- The Jeff Kushner and Randall McGinnis Scholarship for LGBT Engineering students
- The Price Scholarships in Engineering
- The Simatelex Charitable Foundation International Study Program, supporting international students
- The UMSU Award for Indigenous Community Leaders
- The Manavathé Graduate Student Bursary for Masters students in Peace and Conflict Studies
What our students are saying:
I’m so grateful to donors… it makes me proud to be a U of M student.”
-Simisola Ajayi, scholarship recipient and student, Faculty of Science
“I would not be the person I am today if no one had the generosity to invest in my future and support me along the way.”
-Hilary Ransom, scholarship recipient and student, I.H. Asper School of Business
“Your generosity eased a tremendous financial burden and allowed me to push forward. Without this bursary, I would not be able to continue my education. Thank you so much!”
-Kelly, bursary recipient
“When I received this award, I felt like a tremendous financial load was lifted off my shoulders and anything was possible, which improved my outlook on life.”
-Graciel, bursary recipient
“I want to personally thank you for your support for my education. Because of your support, I am now a huge step closer to my dreams and am proud to hold a Bachelor of Science degree!”
-Christian, bursary recipient
“I’ve been able to live a more well-rounded and balanced university life, focusing on my academic future and continual contribution to my community.”
-Nicole Ganae, Schwartz-Reisman Scholarship recipient and student, I.H. Asper School of Business
“I can’t say thank you enough to the people who donate and who believe in students like myself and the work that we’re doing.”
-Taylor Morriseau [BSc(Hons)/17], scholarship recipient and doctoral student in Pharmacology, Rady Faculty of Health Sciences
Over 60,000 donors have contributed to the Front and Centre campaign to date, bringing the campaign total to $368,503,210.66.