St. Paul’s celebrates 90 years
Founded as one institution in 1926, St. Paul’s College and St. Paul’s High School will honour their shared 90-year-history at a Celebration Mass and Reception on Saturday, September 17, 2016.
For 90 years St. Paul’s High School and St. Paul’s College have been an integral part of the Winnipeg community and to commemorate this milestone, the two institutions will join in a 90th Anniversary Celebration Mass which will be held at St. Mary’s Cathedral (located at 353 St. Mary Avenue) at 1 p.m. on Sept. 17, with His Grace Archbishop Richard Gagnon presiding.
Following Mass, St. Paul’s College Rector, Dr. Christopher Adams, and High School President, Fr. Len Atilia, SJ will welcome students, alumni, staff, faculty and friends at a reception in the RBC Convention Centre, Pan Am room, 375 York Avenue from 2:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Everyone is welcome. There is no cost or registration required to attend.
Some facts about St. Paul’s College / St. Paul’s High School
- The Oblate Fathers at the invitation of Archbishop Alfred A. Sinnot founded St. Paul’s College and High School in 1926.
- St. Paul’s High School was the first English Catholic High School in Manitoba.
- In the beginning, the two institutions shared their humble location first on Selkirk Avenue and later at the corner of Vaughn and Ellice.
- In 1931, St. Paul’s College became affiliated with the University of Manitoba.
- In 1933, the Jesuit Fathers took over the direction of the High School and College under the leadership of Fr. John Holland, SJ.
- St. Paul’s College remained at the downtown location until the new College building was erected at the Fort Garry campus in 1958. Six years later, in 1964, the High School relocated to its present day Grant Avenue location.
- St. Paul’s College currently consists of 1200 student members.
- The current student population at St. Paul’s High School is 575.