School of Art Gallery exhibit reception set for Feb. 7
The exhibition, Re: Collecting – Recent Acquisitions from the Permanent Collection, presents an opportunity for audiences to become acquainted with a number of artworks the School of Art Gallery has acquired since moving into new facilities in the ARTlab building.
Among them is No. 57, Frieze (Nude Series), a large-scale drawing by the recently deceased Winnipeg artist, Eva Stubbs, who graduated from the School of Art in the 1950s. Like her, the predominance of artists represented within the exhibition have ties to the School of Art. For instance, Norman Schmidt who donated his paper work, Along the Edge, 2009, was a former student and instructor.
Schmidt and Stubbs are but two artists among 24 represented in Re: Collecting. Also included are works by Valentine Fanshaw (1878-1940), Jack Butler, Jane Martin, Takao Tanabe, Ivan Eyre, Lucy Qinnuayuak (1915-1982), Alexander Musgrove (1882-1952), Joseph Plaskett (1918-2014), Kenneth Lochhead (1926-2006), Daphne Odjig (1919-2016), Toni Onley (1928-2004), Bruce Head (1939-2009), Robert A. Nelson, Esther Warkov, Don Proch, Wanda Koop, Bertram Brooker (1888-1955), Donald Reichert (1932-2013), Michael Bigger (1927-2011), Victor Cicansky, and Gordon Smith.
Also represented within the exhibition are the donors. The generous impulses of these individuals to redistribute treasures from their collections have enriched and built the gallery’s holdings, offering readier access to scholars, researchers, art viewers and the general public.
Exhibit open from January 8 – February 9
Feb. 7, 4:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
School of Art Gallery
255 ARTlab, 180 Dafoe Road
The School of Art Gallery is the grateful beneficiary of the generous impulses of art owners to redistribute objects from their private collections to public collections to share with scholars, art viewers, and the general public. Since 2012 when the School of Art Gallery, then Gallery One One, moved to its new facilities in ARTlab, came to a gallery that was twice the size of the old space, and to new collection vaults that more than doubled the storage space for artworks.
The expanded space has afforded opportunities to enlarge the permanent collection, and with the exhibition, Re: Collecting Recent Acquisitions from the Permanent Collection, the Gallery offers a survey of some of the new works that have found a place in our vaults. At the same time, the Gallery acknowledges the individuals whose generosity allows us to make these works available for study and for viewing.
The primary focus of the School of Art Gallery’s permanent collection is to “enrich the collection of Manitoba art to maintain a representative selection of the best Manitoba art, and in particular, the work of those associated with the School of Art, such as present and former staff members as well as former students.”
Although it wasn’t an organizing principle for the exhibition, the Gallery kept in mind interconnections between artists who were represented within the donations; artists who collaborated, artists who were students at the same time, artists who were student and teacher, and ultimately, their links to the School of Art and to the Winnipeg art community and its history.
Donors of exhibition works
Dr. Stefan Carter in memory of Emilee N. Horn (Carter)
Dr. Marion Lewis
Tony Tascona and Doreen Millin
Donor Recognition Series, 2010
In 2010 the Gallery presented The Donor Recognition Series, a series of exhibition to showcase some significant collections donated to the permanent collection by private donors. Click here to learn more about the series, and the permanent collection.