Recognizing good work
Some Physical Plant and Ancillary Services staffers remain on campus to provide essential services
UM hallways and staircases are empty, as we have all been disrupted in some way by COVID-19. But a number of extraordinary essential staff continue to commute to our campuses every day to ensure our buildings operate, and that our rooms are cleaned and our campuses are safe.
Staff from Operations and Maintenance (Physical Plant) and Ancillary Services remain on campus to ensure that residence students get what they need, and cleaning, repairing and maintaining our spaces so when we can return, we will be returning to sanitized and rejuvenated spaces.
The University community is thankful for the work of these essential staffers.
Here are just a few projects to look forward to when we return to campus, all of which have undergone enhanced cleaning procedures:
- Major touch points such as door handles, push bars, railings and fountains have been cleaned and disinfected
- Deep cleaning stairs
- Computer Labs cleaned and disinfected
- Study tables and countertops disinfected
- Lockers cleaned and disinfected
- Student Lounges cleaned and disinfected
- Steam lines in tunnels dusted
- Tunnel floors cleaned and resealed
- Classroom tables and floors have been cleaned and disinfected
- Floors have been stripped and re-waxed
- Public chairs have been shampooed
- Floors, glass, air ducts, railings, running track and locker rooms have been cleaned and disinfected in the Active Living Centre
- Residence buildings in process of being cleaned and disinfected
- Washrooms cleaned and disinfected
- Shampooing carpets in various building
Please note that this list is not exhaustive.
On-site staff abide by social distancing protocol, and will continue progress on other maintenance and cleaning projects as they arise.
Click through below for some (eerily) empty — but very clean — spaces at the UM.