Nancy Barajas: 5 Days for the Homeless
Have you ever complained about the cold? Hunger?
What if every day you woke up like this?
Hi, my name is Nancy Barajas and I wish to help youth at risk no longer have to wake up to these thoughts. I am a senior student at the Asper School of Business majoring in Supply Chain and International Business who wants to create a positive change in the community. I have been involved in several programs at school and the community like Student Leadership Development programs, Student Refugee Support Program (WUSC), Siloam Mission and a social enterprise for El Salvador named “UMangoes” though Student Life. I aspire to one day be in a position where I am able to create more inclusive spaces and develop employment and training opportunities for youth.
I am very honoured and humbled to be a sleeper this year and help raise awareness about youth homelessness in our community. Through my participation in this campaign, I hope to help break stigmas and stereotypes regarding homelessness by opening a space for dialogue and understanding, and to motivate fellow students to get involved in the community. This is a chance to work together towards creating new opportunities and empowering youth. If everybody lends a hand, we could create plenty of opportunities for years to come.
Please take a minute to stop by and support such a great cause!
- Mar. 9, 2016 – QX 104 Facebook: 5 Days for the Homeless video interview
- Mar. 9, 2016 – Energy 106: “5 Days for the Homeless”
- Mar. 9, 2016 – iNews 880 AM: “U of M students spending five days on the streets”
- Mar. 9, 2016 – CJOB radio: “Sleeping outside to fight homelessness”
- Mar. 7, 2016 – ChrisD: “U of M Students Camping Out to Fight Youth Homelessness”
- Mar. 7, 2016 – The Manitoban: “5 Days to Combat Youth Homelessness”
- Mar. 7, 2016 – Radio-Canada: “5 jours dehors pour sensibiliser à la situation des jeunes sans-abri”
- Mar. 6, 2016 – Winnipeg Sun: “Students sleep outside to support homeless”
- Mar. 1, 2016 – QX 104 blog: “5 Days for the Homeless at the U of Manitoba!”