Café Scientifique call for 2022/2023 proposals now open
UM Café Scientifiques bring together experts with non in a relaxed atmosphere to learn about their research and the questions it raises. Cafés are scheduled throughout the academic year, on a weeknight, and encompass topics that reflect the breadth of research underway at the UM.
The Vice-President (Research and International) is seeking proposals from UM faculty members for the upcoming season of Café Scientifique.
FORMAT: In Person / Online
DEADLINE: No later than September 5th, 2022
Questions & Submissions to: Davide [dot] Montebruno [at] UManitoba [dot] ca
Submissions will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Hot topics of interest to a public, layperson audience
- Deal with a broad range (not specific to one discipline only) of research, scholarly work or creative activities at UM
- NOT be a topic or panel about a single research project
- Propose a maximum of 3 panelists and 1 moderator who are able to speak in plain language to a lay audience.
- Panelists and moderator can be a combination of UM faculty members (multidisciplinary, from different faculties is given preference), community partners, research collaborators, graduate students, postdoctoral fellows and research associates.
- The proposal should be no more than 1 page in length and include a draft working title for the Café Scientifique, a short promotional description of the topic (max. 100 words) and suggested moderator and panelists. Please confirm your moderator/panelists willingness to participate before submitting a proposal.
Please review the previous season’s videos on the Café Scientifique website for information on previous topics and the online format.
NOTE: The Café Scientifique season will take place from October thru June, with a pause in December. If you have specific date or month in which you would like your Café to take place, please indicate this in your proposal.
Final proposal selection is done by the Vice-President (Research and International) and Strategic Communications. Organization and marketing of Café Scientifique is done centrally and not the responsibility of the successful proposal submitter(s).