Active Living Centre to re-open Monday, July 27
The team at UM Recreation Services have been working hard behind the scenes on the Active Living Centre re-opening plan, and have good news to share: the Active Living Centre is re-opening Monday, July 27.
The opening of the Active Living Centre is an important step in the process to recovery and re-opening at UM as its function supports UM’s commitment to active living and wellness of our entire community.
Upon re-opening, the health and safety of members and staff are top priority and in order to meet—and exceed government regulations—important changes to operations have been made:
- Hours of operation will be Monday through Sunday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- To ensure physical distancing, there will be a 100-member capacity in the facility at any one time. This represents approximately 25 per cent of the Active Living Centre’s capacity.
- Members will book 90-minute workout blocks to guarantee a workout time. Booking details to come.
- Thorough facility cleaning and sanitization will occur in-between blocks. Hand sanitizer will be available at the entrance, at the exit and throughout the facility. Participants will be asked to apply hand sanitizer immediately after entry and upon leaving the facilities.
- Water fountains will be turned off (please bring your own water or sports drinks).
- Group fitness classes will also be offered, but on a reduced basis.
Before entering the facility, staff and members must use the self-screening tool. Members and staff will not be allowed entry if they present with COVID-19 symptoms.
While the the Recreation Services website outlines the details of re-opening and everything you will need to know before returning, members should watch for additional email communication in the coming days that provides information about re-activating membership and changes to services that include:
- Drop-ins and short-term memberships will not be sold at this time.
- Suspension of towel service.
- The Joyce Fromson Pool, showers and sauna will remain closed.
- The gymnasiums and courts will remain closed.
- Due to COVID-19 procedures at the Bannatyne campus, Joe Doupe Recreation Centre will not be re-opening at this time.
The UM Recreation Services team is excited to be able to open the doors and begin moving forward in supporting the fitness goals of the UM community and membership.
“We thank you for your patience as we continue to work toward a strategic and safe re-opening,” said Tanya Angus, Director, Recreation Services. “We look forward to welcoming you back.”
Follow Recreation Services on social media (Facebook, Instagram) for more news and updates.