Canada Research Chairs Symposium Returns to University Centre in May
The fifth UM Canada Research Chair (CRC) Symposium will take place on May 16, 2023, hosted by the Vice-President (Research and International) Office. The CRC symposium series is open to all and will highlight research themes presented by six UM CRCs from across disciplines and faculties.
UM has an allocation of 50 CRCs funded by the Government of Canada in the areas of natural sciences and engineering, health sciences, and social sciences and humanities. CRCs are leaders in wide-ranging fields who frequently published their insights into important issues close to home, such as adopting Indigenous street names, and across the universe, by visualizing a ‘stellar graveyard’.
“Through dialogue across disciplines and diverse perspectives, we hope to spark new and exciting collaborations between researchers, students, and the wider community,” says Mario Pinto, Vice-President (Research and International). “Researchers are motivated by the impacts of their work to improve the lives of people here in Manitoba, and around the world. These symposia provide a thought-provoking look into the groundbreaking research taking place at UM every day.”
RSVP by May 12 to join the fifth CRC Symposium
Tuesday May 16, 2023 at 9am
Multi-Purpose Room 2nd Floor, UMSU University Centre, Fort Garry Campus
This is a hybrid event, with both in-person and online options to attend. All are welcome.
Presenters at the upcoming May 16 Symposium will include:
- Kristina Brown, Tier 2 Chair in Chair in Arctic Marine Biogeochemistry, Clayton H. Riddell Faculty of Environment, Earth, and Resources
- Nicole Rosen, Tier 2 Chair in Language Interactions, Faculty of Arts (Linguistics)
- Robert Mizzi, Tier 2 Chair in Queer, Community and Diversity Education, Faculty of Education (Educational Administration, Foundations & Psychology)
- Samar Safi-Harb, Tier 1 Chair in Extreme Astrophysics, Faculty of Science (Physics and Astronomy)
- Susan Logue, Tier 2 Chair in Cell Stress and Inflammation, Max Rady College of Medicine (Human Anatomy & Cell Science
The final CRC Symposium of this school year will take place on Monday June 19, 2023 at 2pm at Theatre B&C/Brodie Atrium, Basic Medical Sciences Building, Bannatyne Campus.