Big Plans for 25th edition of Duckworth Challenge
Win a WestJet trip to Toronto during NBA All-Star Weekend at UofM Event
Get ready for the 25th annual Duckworth Challenge, with the University of Manitoba Bisons pitted against the University of Winnipeg Wesmen in women’s soccer, volleyball, and basketball varsity competition.
The 25th annual Duckworth Challenge volleyball portion will be played on Thursday, February 4, 2016 (women: 6 p.m. CT; men: 7:30 p.m. CT) at U of Winnipeg and the basketball portion on Friday, February 5, 2016 (women: 6 p.m. CT; men: 8 p.m. CT) at Manitoba.
Manitoba leads the 2015-16 edition as Bisons won 1-0 on the road on Saturday, Oct. 10, 2015 in the third match of women’s soccer included in the Duckworth Challenge.
Activities planned as part of the celebration of the 25th annual Duckworth Challenge with the basketball portion at University of Manitoba on February 5, 2016:
- People are encouraged to come to the Duckworth Challenge portion at U of Manitoba and enter for a chance to win a WestJet trip to Toronto during NBA All-Star Weekend. Included in prize package during All-Star weekend with be access into the NBA Centre Court;
- Pre-game clinic (all-day, hands-on instructional clinics conducted by current and former NBA, WNBA and NBA Development League players);
- Spirit Cup – U of M Residences participating;
- Pep band will be circulating throughout the Duckworth Challenge event;
- Alumni Relations Street team to hand out giveaways (thundersticks) at start of each game and other giveaways as needed through to end of first quarter of men’s game
In addition, Bison student-athletes will be taking over social media the week of the Duckworth Challenge in February. Instagram Takeovers of the umbisons account with Caleigh Dobie, Women’s Volleyball (Tues., Feb. 2) and Kevin Falconer, Men’s Volleyball (Thurs., Feb. 4) while the umanitoba Instagram account will be take over by Claire Harvey, Women’s Basketball (Wed., Feb. 3) and Amir Ali, Men’s Basketball (Fri., Feb. 5). Duckworth Challenge.
Notes: General Admission tickets for the Duckworth Challenge at U of M are Adults: $10; Non U of M Students, U of M Alumni and Seniors: $5; U of W students: $2; Children 12 and under are free.