A new direction for UM Research
New Strategic Research Plan to launch Fall 2023
On Jan. 19, 2023, the UM Strategic Research Planning Committee convened to begin work on a new UM Strategic Research Plan for 2023-2028, as part of the ongoing process to create a broader University Strategic Plan. Co-chaired by the Vice-President (Research & International) and the Associate Vice-President (Research), the committee will build on existing research strengths to define a multi- and inter-disciplinary strategy for UM.
“It is crucial that the work of UM researchers respond to the important issues we face as a society today,” says Annemieke Farenhorst, Associate Vice-President (Research). “The first task of our committee will be to seek diverse perspective and opinions from across our university community to identify our key research strengths. By collaborating across disciplines, we can optimize the impacts of our work both locally, and around the world.”
Beginning with a Community Engagement session on February 9, the Committee is seeking input and feedback from the broader UM community. An initial draft of the Strategic Research Plan 2023, incorporating community feedback, is expected to be presented for senate review this autumn.
Led by Co-Chairs Mario Pinto and Annemieke Farenhorst, Committee members have been recruited from across disciplines and Faculties at UM. The members of the UM Strategic Research Planning Committee are:
- Meghan Azad – Rady Faculty of Health Sciences
- Andrea Charron – Faculty of Arts and Director of the Centre for Defence and Security Studies
- Michelle Driedger – Rady Faculty of Health Sciences
- Bruce Erickson – Clayton H. Riddell Faculty of Environment, Earth and Resources
- Phil Ferguson – Price Faculty of Engineering
- Brenda Gunn – Faculty of Law and Academic & Research Director for the National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation
- Jim House – Faculty of Agricultural & Food Sciences
- Orly Linovski – Faculty of Architecture
- Curt McCartney – Faculty of Agricultural & Food Sciences
- Thomas Murooka – Rady Faculty of Health Sciences
- Kendra Nixon – Faculty of Social Work and Director of RESOLVE
- Adele Perry – Faculty of Arts and Director of the Centre for Human Rights Research
- Ayesha Saleem – Faculty of Kinesiology and Recreation Management
- Rusty Souleymanov – Faculty of Social Work
- Jorg Stetefeld – Faculty of Science
- Tamra Werbowetski-Ogilvie – Rady Faculty of Health Sciences
- Olivia Wilkins – Faculty of Science
Opportunities to get involved
Strategic Research Plan Community Engagement sessions are open to the entire UM community on the following dates:
- Thursday, Feb. 9 at 1 p.m., Multi-Purpose Room 2nd Floor, UMSU University Centre, Fort Garry Campus
- Tuesday Mar. 7 at 10:30 a.m., Marshall McLuhan Hall, UMSU University Centre, Fort Garry Campus
- Monday Apr. 3 at 10 a.m., Basic Medical Sciences Building, Lecture Theatre C, Bannatyne Campus
- Thursday, May 4 at 10 a.m., Marshall McLuhan Hall, UMSU University Centre, Fort Garry Campus
- Thursday June 29 at 1 p.m., Marshall McLuhan Hall, UMSU University Centre, Fort Garry Campus
Invitations to participate will be sent to all staff and students for each engagement session. These will be hybrid events, with both in person and online options to attend. A link to the virtual event will be made available those who RSVP and in the event calendar closer to the event dates.
Research at the University of Manitoba is partially supported by funding from the Government of Canada Research Support Fund.