Bus Rapid Transit upgrades coming
The City of Winnipeg’s Rapid Transit construction project at the Fort Garry campus is scheduled to be completed by December 2017. This construction is part of the early works for the Southwest Transitway project. Stage 2 of the Transitway project will be completed in late 2019, with operation beginning in April 2020.
Here are a few important upgrades, set to begin December 17, that you need to know about:
- Bus service will be relocated to Dafoe from Maclean on Dec. 17.
- Two-way transit service will be added, including two new eastbound drop-off points:
- one in front of the Agriculture Building, across from the Centre for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning (the former music building at 65 Dafoe Road) and
- one in front of Taché Hall.
- Westbound stops on Dafoe Road will remain in the same general locations:
- near the Tier Building and the Quad, with some stops extending further east near the Isbister Building
- and in front of the Centre for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning (the former music building at 65 Dafoe Road).
- The existing stop at the Centre for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning will be enhanced with outdoor seating and a larger shelter.
The new U of M Station near the Tier Building and the Quad
- Will be made up of four separate westbound stop platforms.
- The Station will have 4 BUSwatch signs (one per platform), and 5 large heated shelters including covered waiting areas and outdoor seating.
- Additional pedestrian crosswalks across Dafoe Road will be added to make the new station area safer and more accessible.
- U of M Station will stretch from the eastern corner of the Quad and continue past the Isbister Building. This additional area allows enough space for buses to run, while preserving green space and enhancing tree health in the Quad area. See image and route information below.
- A – routes 51, 137, 162 & 170
- B – routes 72 & 78
- C – routes 36, 75 & 76
- D – routes 60, 160, 161 & 185
- Indoor access to the eastern-most stops in the station area will be available through the Isbister Building, which connects to the campus tunnel system.
- The station area on Dafoe Road (east of Gilson Street) will be restricted to bus traffic only.
- A ‘bus staging area’ will be constructed at the easterly end of Dafoe Road. Buses will wait there to begin their routes.
The existing stop on University Crescent at Chancellor Matheson
- Will remain in the same location
- Will have new outdoor bench seating, and yellow detectable warning panels along the curb.
View detailed posters at locations around campus beginning December 4. Schedule changes will also be in effect beginning December 17. For up-to-date transit changes, visit http://winnipegtransit.com/
If you have questions, please contact Winnipeg Transit by calling 311 or emailing 311 [at] winnipeg [dot] ca.