Respected Leader Dr. Jonathan Beddoes retires from his position of Dean of the Faculty of Architecture and the Price Faculty of Engineering
Jonathan Beddoes held the position of Dean of the Price Faculty of Engineering since 2011 and the Faculty of Architecture since 2015.
After nine years in the role of Dean in the Price Faculty of Engineering and five years as Dean of the Faculty of Architecture, Dr. Jonathan Beddoes is retiring. During his tenure, Dean Beddoes led many successful accreditation cycles in both Faculties, celebrated the opening of the new $28-million Stanley Pauley Engineering Building, increased enrollment in the Price Faculty of Engineering by 60%, and expanded the relationships between the architecture and engineering professional communities.
After a combined 37 years in both professional and academic engineering, Dean Beddoes said farewell to the University of Manitoba on June 30, 2020. His time as Dean has been marked by many significant events including the opening of the new Stanley Pauley Engineering Building and the renaming of the Faculty to the Price Faculty of Engineering in honour of the Price family’s generous $20-million gift in March 2020. Dean Beddoes will also be remembered for his tireless effort to see that the needs of students are always met first and that all faculty members understand the need to keep the interests of our students front and centre, and to advance conversation and action around equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives.
Highlights of Dean Beddoes Tenure
- Celebrated the landmark donation from the Price family and renaming to the Price Faculty of Engineering
- Spearheaded the fundraising and building of the new Stanley Pauley Engineering Building
- Refurbished the High Voltage Lab and Stanley Pauley Centre
- Initiated the hiring an Indigenous Scholar cross appointed to the Faculty of Architecture and the Price Faculty of Engineering
- Chaired over 100 Deans & Heads meetings and over 450 Faculty Council and Faculty Executive meetings
- Chaired more than 50 successful searches and 49 Promotion committees
- Revitalized the Ph.D. Program in the Faculty of Architecture
- Tripled the student participation in Price Faculty of Engineering Co-op/IIP program and led the creation of the Faculty of Architecture Co-op Program
- Revamped the terms of reference for all the Standing Committees of the Price Faculty Council and revised the Faculty Promotion and Tenure Policies, Procedures and Criteria in the Faculty of Architecture
The impact of Dean Beddoes’ efforts and achievements are amplified by his steady hand as a leader who respects the voices of everyone in the Faculty, who actively reaches out to students, staff, faculty, and the external community to create partnerships, and who takes every opportunity to celebrate and highlight others’ achievements.
Dean Beddoes plans to spend more time with his children and grandchildren during retirement but will continue to be a contributor to the success of both Faculties. The faculty, staff and students wish him well in his well-deserved retirement.