Order of Manitoba honours UM alumni, faculty, researchers and president
An esteemed group from the U of M community honoured
Some of the University of Manitoba’s most respected alumni, faculty members, researchers and administration were invested into the Order of Manitoba on July 12, at the Manitoba Legislative Building.
- Distinguished Professor Cheryl Rockman-Greenberg, Professor, Pediatrics and Child Health and Biochemistry and Medical Genetics, Rady Faculty of Health Sciences – University of Manitoba; Clinician Scientist, Children’s Hospital Research Institute of Manitoba; and Clinical and Metabolic Geneticist, Winnipeg Regional Health Authority.
- Dr. Sarah Israels [M.D./1979], renowned pediatric hematologist/oncologist
- William Loewen, distinguished business leader and philanthropist [C.A./1954]
- Dr. Grant N. Pierce [Ph.D./1983], Professor, Physiology and Pharmacology, Rady Faculty of Health Sciences – University of Manitoba; and Executive Director of Research, St. Boniface Hospital
- Jacqueline Blay [M.A./1987, Cert.Trad.2003], award-winning francophone historian
- Bernice Marmel [B.A./1949, M.Ed./1986], long-time champion and advocate for seniors, affordable housing and low-income Manitobans
- Dr. David Barnard, University of Manitoba President and Vice-Chancellor
The Order of Manitoba, the province’s highest honour, was established in 1999 to recognize Manitobans who have demonstrated excellence and achievement, thereby enriching the social, cultural or economic well-being of the province and its residents.
Lt.-Gov. Janice Filmon [BScHEc/63, LLD/11] presided over the July 12 ceremony at the Manitoba Legislative Building.
For additional information about the Order of Manitoba, visit www.manitobalg.ca.